1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New puppy vent

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caney Creek, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Over Labor Day weekend my mom went out on a routine grocery trip to Wal-Mart and came home with a 6 week old lab puppy. Someone was giving them away for free in the parking lot. I was pretty perturbed when I found out -- my mom is NOT a big dog person, she already has 2 frail little dogs that don't play well with others, plus my mom keeps a very busy schedule and does not have time for a puppy. Basically I could foresee it not working out and I knew that I would eventually be the one to pick up the pieces.

Well guess what happened. Mom sent me an email this morning saying that she cannot keep Emmett (that's what she named him). I did not respond, firstly because I didn't know what to say... also I knew that I shouldn't say what I wanted to say. :mad:

Then she called me just a minute ago. I asked her to tell me what was going on (as if I didn't know)... she said Emmett is too much work and she's realizing now that all 3 dogs will never coexist peacefully. He is a little too rambunctious for a 12-year-old, temperamental bichon with bad knees, and a 6-year-old 5 lb maltipoo with a serious Napoleon complex. Well NO KIDDING they aren't a good match. Who should have thought of that first?? dohicon

THEN, she says that she hopes to find a home for him by Wednesday... and that if she doesn't she might take him to the Humane Society. :eek: I just about LOST IT. It took a lot of self-control on my part not to just go off right then. My mom has NEVER EVER gotten rid of an animal, she's always the one taking in other peoples' castaways -- in fact that's how she has acquired every single dog or cat she's had since I have been alive... even the bichon and the maltipoo. Four years ago a friend of hers was on her way to the shelter to surrender her 2 dogs, and for whatever reason she decided to call my mom (the "bleeding heart") and tell her what she was doing. Well of course my mom just couldn't bear to let those poor dogs go to the pound so she took them both.

If it really comes down to that (her wanting to take him to the shelter) I have a feeling that WE will end up with a puppy for a little while. We sure as heck can't keep him though. *I* know how much work puppies are, and how much attention and training they need. *I* know to keep in mind how a 3rd dog would affect my current dogs. Plus, DH would say no way. We can't afford another dog right now. But if I end up taking over the responsibility of finding him a home it's going to be even harder for me to place him because I'm going to be REALLY picky and make sure that his new owners are committed to him for life. I mean I'm already a little attached to him because I've taken care of him for 1 week out of the 2 that Mom's had him (she had previously planned a trip out of town with friends).

Emmett, the Wal-Mart puppy - a set on Flickr

I feel so bad for the puppy, and I'm so upset with my mom right now. :( Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Oh my, he is adorable! What a little cutie. I don't imaging that you will have a problem finding a new home for him.

3. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Thanks Jan, I hope you're right. My mom has decided to keep him another week and think about it... she has been sick the past week so I think that plus the puppy has just left her feeling overwhelmed. But if she decides she can't keep him we might have a home lined up!

She took him to the vet for his shots today and said he weighed 12 lbs. He's 8 weeks and 2 days old. She asked me how much Caney weighed at 8 weeks and I told her 11 lbs. She didn't sound too excited to hear that... maybe I should have lied and told her "I don't know!" :o

4. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I think her heart was in the right place AND you should NOT bail her out! She made the decision to "save" this guy. If she can't keep him it should be her responsibility to find him his forever home. He is simply adorable beyond words though and should get snatched up by someone soon if she decides to go that route.

5. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

You're right, I know she meant well... and I also know that I shouldn't be taking over responsibility. I guess Mom and I are alike in that sense -- we just can't help it when it comes to puppies! :o

Really what frustrated me the most was hearing her say that she was considering taking Emmett to the shelter. I don't think I could let that happen. She sounded pretty serious when she said it but now I'm figuring out that maybe she didn't mean it... or at least, she's starting to realize that she couldn't do that to him. I also think that now that she's actively looking for a home for him she realizes that it won't be to hard to place him, and she won't have to resort to taking him to the shelter. So that's good. :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.