1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New puppy, no new puppy, new puppy...possibly:)

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by packblt, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. packblt

packblt Completely Boxer Crazy

So last week I posted about a bulldog puppy that we were going to adopt. Well the girl that contacted me about adopting him has decided that she will most likely be keeping him herself. It turns out that he has extensive skin and allergy issues and she thinks the vet care is going to be extremely costly and if she keeps him in her care through rescue that would be best.

Well to say I was disappointed is an understatement. My family was disappointed but more disappointed for me. I was already researching and learning new bulldog things and I guess I was upbeat and very happy. So my husband suggested that we still get a new puppy and said that he was happy that we weren't getting a puppy with known medical issues. I agreed to a new puppy as long as it was something fairly small...knowing that I absolutely could not handle looking for another boxer as I still get extremely emotional every time I see a classic fawn boxer in person or even in pictures. I also thought it would be good if I could find a small breed that was fairly hypoallergenic because I have developed some autoimmune issues over the last year and a half and have erupted in contact rashes with things that I never had a problem with before. I now need to wash my hands immediately after petting my brother's lab/pointer mix and can only pet her for a short time. I also cannot touch any ornamental grasses or weeds without rubber coated gloves.
    So we have decided to look for a cockapoo or bichpoo puppy. I have a call into a local rescue that has a young male of each so I will investigate that first before I visit any breeders. I will only take a male as I think my Lola is somewhat dominant.

I really hope we are able to find a boy that will fit nicely into our family:)

2. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

Sorry you didn't get the bulldog, but considering what you just went through, it is probably best you don't get a dog with known health issues. I am sure you will find the right match for your family soon.

3. entelekia

entelekia Super Boxer

Any reason you guys wouldn't consider getting a hypoallergenic pure bred? Like a bichon or a miniature poodle?

I just hate the idea of a 'breeder' of these designer hybrid dogs getting their pockets lined. They aren't a true breed, so any breeder of these guys is in it for the money, or are BYBs at best.

Rescue would be a wonderful way to get one though. After all these dogs are all just poodle mixes.

**Edited to add** I really don't mean to offend. I realize the need of getting a dog with allergy issues in mind, it's just that if you want to go the puppy route (breeder) it will be hard to find a reputable one since these aren't recognized breeds and as such there is no standard, or governing body looking out for potential health problems.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  4. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

I agree that rescuing a mixed breed "designer" dog is a good option. I bought my "puggle" (beagle-pug), obviously byb, before I knew any better and I wouldn't buy one again, but definitely rescue one! I think they are a great match with boxers, since they tend to be playful and sturdy. They tend to be pretty healthy, too. The only issue we ever had was cherry eye. They are not hypoallergenic, though.

5. packblt

The cockapoos are not a new designer poodle mix, my family both in NY and Florida have had cockapoos since I was a kid. None are really hypoallergenic but the poodles and bichons shed less and don't have fur. I have not heard back from the rescue but my neighbor did mention that if they do a home check it will not be good because my pool is not fenced...I had no idea that would be an issue. I also just found out about the poodle bichon mix from my neighbor that has poodles. Her sister has one and she said he is much more feisty and playful than her poodles, she thought it would be a good match for Bandit and Lola. I guess we'll just wait and see. Of course my husband is annoyed that our call wasn't returned. I also found one of the rescue pups on a different website and it says adoption pending.

6. packblt

So we have had our Cockapoo puppy for almost three weeks and we are very happy!(found him locally from a breeder that has been breeding them for almost 20 years and has family line back to original AKC pair, also health tested) It seems that he is a great fit so far. It took about three days to see his real personality come out. He is definitely not afraid of Bandit and Lola and will initiate play with them often. Most likely a little too often for them; they are exhausted!

I was nervous at first given the size difference, he was only 7 pounds when we got him and Bandit and Lola are 78 and 71 pounds. I think he thinks he is boxer like them. He only wants their food and to use their bowls - no puppy food or small bowls:)

Here's a few pictures,(yet I still can't get them to post from my Samsung phone or tablet:( anyone able to do this)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-.../gcm2Gd73ZEk/w470-h835-no/20130929_184003.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/5OdGWDAB4A1nkHJ4JyZ57slgk4xrnYzMkzTTe1UcYhc=w368-h207-p-no

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/ODPNzyCDakJ2x9UTlSD94JWsEqhkY8uIekcXxQ9o36A=w276-h207-p-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/wp779mvB69CbZl7Fn1ybrBwMKo9qU9lFjTHGKr6VPnM=w368-h207-p-no

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  7. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Well, he is certainly cute! Does he have a name?

I disagree about cockapoo's not being a designer breed. They were just the first and have a lot to answer for. :(

8. packblt

Ahhh, his name is Tucker! Thanks:)

Yes, I guess you could say they are a "designer breed" because it's a deliberate pairing but it has not been done for the same reasons as the recent "poo rage"($) with poodle mixes of everything. I did not find any of the other poo mixes that were health tested or a family history noting back to the original AKC pair. I just felt that given the history of the mix it would be a good fit for us. How lucky for us that the person he was promised to only wants a chocolate male and will wait for the next litter where they will get first choice.

I did look for something totally different from a boxer because I felt it would be too hard to look at boxer puppies and that I would unfairly compare a new boxer puppy to our Tyson. Ironically, this little guy has proven to be oddly very much like Tyson, digging and hiding in the same spots, smart and very affectionate (when he isn't biting you). Bandit and Lola seem to be very happy with him too! He plays with each of them much in the same way Tyson did, with Lola it's all about chasing and running and with Bandit it's mostly the mouth wrestling which is quite funny given the difference in size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.