1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Puppy - Heart Murmur

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by rbone, Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbone

rbone Boxer Pal

We are waiting to pick up our new boxer puppy ( female ) in a week and the breeder called to tell us the puppy has a level three heart murmur. I have had two boxers, neither had heart issues ( which I know can be an issue ). I have consulted two doctors with differing opinions. We have asked the breeder to take the puppy to the vet one more time to check on the heart. The breeder has given us options...any suggestions? Do they outgrow this? We lost our last boxer at age 4 ~ which was hard for all of us, especially my three young children. thanks!

2. bettiboxer

bettiboxer Boxer Pal

We found out our girl had a murmur at our first vet visit. The vet graded it at a level 2 and suggested we get an echocardiogram. She said that is really the only way to accurately judge the grade and determine what is causing the murmur. We did one (at 6 mos) and they found it to actually be a Level 1 murmur due to an sub-aortic stenosis. In her case, the murmur was less severe than we thought and shouldn't affect her life. But, I don't know if I would have felt okay about it until we had a cardiologist look at her.

I don't want to tell you one way or another what to do about getting the puppy (I know for us once we had her there was no giving her back :)), but I just wanted to tell you my story and suggest that you have the breeder have a cardiologist look at her to be sure. The breeder really should be happy to do this because if they find out it's a genetic disease then they really shouldn't breed the sire or dam again. Good luck, and hope everything works out for you!

3. CharlieNmom

CharlieNmom Boxer Booster

When I was in high school, I worked for a vet as a tech. I lady came in with her pug puppies to be checked by the vet. One of the puppies had a heart murmur and the breeder opted to put the dog to sleep bc of the murmur (she said she couldn't sell him). (I do not remeber the grade) So, I asked the vet if I could take him and the lady agreed to giving me the puppy. His murmur resolved and he lived a very happy life :) Hopefully your puppy will be okay too!! Best wishes!

4. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Puppy murmurs often resolved themselves as they grow older. Most regular vets are not capable of accurately grading a murmur. He needs to go to a cardiologist for an accurate diagnosis. If it turns out to be only a grade 1-2, I would not be concerned.

Good luck!

5. MKAD

MKAD Boxer Insane

Sally's puppy murmur has resolved itself. I have had her checked by a cardiologist & her regular vet is is aware of potential cardiac issues. At this point, she is a happy, healthy 3 yr old.
    Good luck-
    Mary

6. rbone

rbone Boxer Pal

Thank you!

Thank you all for your feedback. The breeder had scheduled to see a cardiologist tomorrow but called today with bad news. The puppy passed away today. They aren't sure if it was the heart murmur or not. So sad.....

7. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

Oh no, I am so sorry! Rest in peace, little puppy.

8. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I am so sorry. RIP little one!

9. bettiboxer

bettiboxer Boxer Pal

Oh that is so sad :(. Poor puppy. Sorry to hear that!

10. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I am so sorry!
    Godspeed little pup

angelicon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.