New Orleans

cantfindlog

Completely Boxer Crazy
I'm headed to New Orleans on Jan 18 for a convention. I'm staying at the Hilton-Riverside across from the convention center. I don't have a lot of time to go sightseeing. I do have all day Wednesday of that week. I was in NOLA I was 17, it has been a long time since then!

Does anyone have suggestions on what to do and how to maximize my time? I would like to do the whole Bourbon Street, French Quarter. Maybe get down to see ships coming in. When I was there all those years ago I went on one of the tours of the grave sites. I really found that to be interesting.

I've heard that maybe I should find some sort of tour guide service to see some of the city. Not sure if I should or not. I'll admit I'm not sure if I should be worried about crime or not? I was told to make sure I'm back at my hotel by dark. I'm not alone; I'm with a female co-worker. She never travels except the two times a year we go together to conventions. I'd like to make sure she sees the highlights.

Any suggestions would be great on things to do, how to go about it and what you think of the safety of the city.

Thanks! :)

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I am jealous! I haven't been to NOLA since '98. Whenever I travel I have found tripadvisor.com to be a great tool. It ranks and reviews restaurants and attractions, and the people doing the ratings are everyday people who have been there. I have yet to be steered wrong by it. I checked and they have a list of tours on there. Have fun and enjoy the food! (I have never had a bad meal there.)

cantfindlog

Completely Boxer Crazy
I am jealous! I haven't been to NOLA since '98. Whenever I travel I have found tripadvisor.com to be a great tool. It ranks and reviews restaurants and attractions, and the people doing the ratings are everyday people who have been there. I have yet to be steered wrong by it. I checked and they have a list of tours on there. Have fun and enjoy the food! (I have never had a bad meal there.)

Thanks Pam! I'll have to take a look again at trip advisor. I always wait so long to plan. I'm excited to go, however, I can't plan too many things because I'm not going to have a lot of time. I don't want to be disappointed if I can't make it to everything.

If anyone else has suggestions, let me know.

LoveMyDoggie

Boxer Insane
Enjoy your trip. I also have been to a few conventions there but I am usually in a bigger group and my bosses sort of tell me where we are going. coolicon

cantfindlog

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thanks Pam! I'll have to take a look again at trip advisor. I always wait so long to plan. I'm excited to go, however, I can't plan too many things because I'm not going to have a lot of time. I don't want to be disappointed if I can't make it to everything.

If anyone else has suggestions, let me know.

Well, I just spent about two hours on trip advisor. Seems like during the day seems to be best. Many people suggesting to be in by dark. That is fine with me. I did find a woman that loves New Orleans and has many reviews and happens to live 8 miles from where I work so I sent her a message for suggestions. So, we'll see if she gets back to me or not.

LoveMyDoggie

Boxer Insane
Well, I just spent about two hours on trip advisor. Seems like during the day seems to be best. Many people suggesting to be in by dark. That is fine with me. I did find a woman that loves New Orleans and has many reviews and happens to live 8 miles from where I work so I sent her a message for suggestions. So, we'll see if she gets back to me or not.

How did your trip go? Hope you had a great time!

cantfindlog

Completely Boxer Crazy
How did your trip go? Hope you had a great time!
Thank-you. I got back yesterday. I did have a great time.
New Orleans is a city everyone should visit at least once. I was there working but did get out at night for a while. I spent the whole day Wednesday sightseeing. Weather was great. Sunny and about 70 every day; couldn't ask for better than that.
Thank-you for asking!