1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Member of the house

Discussion in 'Stories' started by PartDean, May 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PartDean

PartDean Boxer Pal

We recently adopted a boxer, Tommy. He is a small guy of about 50 pounds. He is approximately 3 or 4 years old. He was a stray and was rescued in CT.
    He has been with us since mid April this year. His markings are "perfect". He is fawn with some nice white feet and chest.
    We understand that it may take some time for him to "trust" us and believe that no one is coming to take him away. He now is very comfortable with the four of us (including 8 and 11 year old girls), but any other people are quite a different story. He seems to be VERY nervous with other people and with sounds outside the house. At times he begins to quiver and shake until either the person leaves or we remove him from their presence. We take walks every day to try and get him used to other people. He is NOT aggressive to anybody, but merely seems to mistrust everyone.
    We are scheduled for our first vet trip next week and I look forward to hearing from the vet about this.
    We are wondering if anybody has had a similar situation or experience with their adoption. And if so, how did you handle it.

2. Angel

Angel Boxer Booster

Sweet Tommy

It is great that you are working with Tommy and trying to socialize him with other dogs and people. Milly sometimes shakes when unfamiliar people visit. After she learns that they are not there to harm her or us. She begins to be more comfortable with the situation. She really gets scared when the repair man comes. She gets right beside me and just shakes. I just hold on to her and tell her that it is okay. I really do not have any advice on this. I just say keep doing what you are doing by getting him outside and socailizing and just let him know that you will not let nothing happen to him. I wish you luck! Keep us updated on Tommy's progress and if you find something that really works with his nerviousness please let me know. How did his vet visit go?

3. Julie Davis

Julie Davis Boxer Insane

It's wonderful that you adopted a boxer! He might be afraid because he was possibly mistreated in his life, or it might just be his personality. My boxer has been a "fraidy cat" ever since I got him as a puppy. To hear him bark, you'd think he was some fierce watchdog, but when people come over, he barks, then turns tail and runs!

4. Aimee

Aimee Boxer Insane

How great that Tommy has found a wonderful home. It is good to keep socializing him but sometimes this is just their personality. My female is leary of anyone entering our house or that we come across on our walks. She will be 4 in October and has never outgrown this. My rescue however is an all around lovable kinda guy and thinks everyone that comes over is there just to see him :) I hope the vet has some better advice for you. It is really hard to determine the cause when you don't have the background info. My rescue is just now really settling into his own with us and we got him last November. It takes a good 6 months or longer for them to know that they are there to stay!

5. Moonshadow

Moonshadow Super Boxer

those poor rescue kids

Makes you wonder what they have been through!!!

My wonderful girl cowered when we brought her home. She looked over her shoulder and watched every move we made. After about three days she warmed up to us, but was still leery of others. She wouldn't even bark. When she got in trouble for doing something you could see the fear in her face (making it very hard for me to tell her "no").

partyicon
    It is a new world now! She is the first to greet people. She has a loud and resonant bark. She plays gently with the puppy. She plays tug-of-war with Nala. She is most comfortable in my lap, licking my chin, telling me how thankful she is to have this life! You wouldn't know she is the same dog.

Good luck! I hope your experience is just as rewarding as mine has been.

beericon

Busy parents of
    Lady Nala - beautiful brindle boxer girl, four years old
    Meta - special white rescue boxer girl, three years old
    Rigo - our newest addition - beautiful flashy fawn boxer baby boy
    2 Cats (Kahlua & Amaretto), 2 visiting cats, 3 his kids, 3 hers kids

Moose(at the bridge) & Sumo (stolen) - handsome brindle males

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.