New baby plus 3 dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

beren

Boxer Booster
This is not strictly a boxer question, but I hope you will indulge me as I can't find any other place ont he net that is as good a resource for this sort of question.

We have 3 dogs- all mutts- (one of whom we think might have some boxer in him, which is what originally led me to this site) and today we brought home a newborn baby.

So far the rules are that the dogs may sniff the baby, but no lick, touch or otherwise molest. Always strictly supervised, of course.

One o f our dogs, Zodin, has taken a keen interest in the baby, He is constantly sniffing her and trying to nudge her. He is gentle,but relentless.

The odd part is this- he has decided that the baby is HIS baby and has attempted to guard it like a toy, He growls and stares at either of the other dogs who dares to approach it. He is snapping at them or giving a final warning, but he is clearly telling them that he has first claim, much as he would do for a toy he doesn't want to share.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about what it is he wants/sees iont he baby and how to curb his "protecting" behavior.

Bonus note, he has shown absolutely no sign whatsoever of guarding the baby from us humans, and such behavior would be largely out of character for him.

MaggienDeuce

Boxer Booster
Congratulations on your new baby. We brought home a new baby last year to two crazy boxers so I know the anxiety you are feeling. A year later and all is going just well with dogs and child. I would check out the boxers and children forum on this site and you will find lots of helpful information. Also, keep in mind that if you brought your baby home today, the dogs are naturally going to be curious. You (and your dogs) are extremely early in the adjustment phase after bringing home a new little person. It really does require time and patience, and I know both seem in very short supply right now. Hang in there it will get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.