1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neutering question

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Msboop, Feb 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Msboop

Msboop Boxer Booster

I am going to have Victor neutered on March 17th. He will be one week short of being 5 months old. The reason I chose that date is that I will have 4 days off with him after the surgery. Is this a good age to have him neutered?

2. Aimee

Aimee Boxer Insane

A growing number of vets are performing spay/neuters on young puppies and kittens nowadays. I can't give any sound advice in regards to it, it hasn't been being performed long enough to find out if there are any negative outcomes "later" in a dogs life for anyone to really have a valid opinion. Did your vet advise you against having it done at this age? Did your vet go through the pros and cons with you (this is most important to me)? I, personally, would have it done without thinking twice about it but, it is something that you need to be comfortable with :) If it's any consolation, you won't need 4 days to be home with him. I just recently had a foster neutered. He was down the first night but by the next day, he was driving me crazy. By day two, I turned him loose with the rest of the crew and threw up my hands. I had to laugh when they told me to keep him down for 14 days, it's impossible. He has had no infections and never did rip himself open, thankfully. I would plan on being with him the first 24 hours and after that, crate him when you are gone to prevent any rough play or jumping. Good luck!

3. Msboop

Msboop Boxer Booster

The vet did go over the pros and cons with me but I was aware of them before she started her talk. She doesn't have a problem with neutering at this age. I just have never done it at this age.
    I know I don't have to have 4 days off with Victor. I just picked that date because I am able to be home then. My schedule is already made up for the month of March. I am sure he will be okay I just was wondering how many others had their boxers neutered before 5 months old.

4. SammynDqtz

SammynDqtz Boxer Insane

I don't know any Boxers that have been neutered before 5 months, but neutering is being done at even younger ages now days. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm sure he'll do just fine.

5. adeinert

adeinert Boxer Insane

Hi,
    My baby was neutered at 5 months, I wanted to have it done while I was home from teaching over the summer. My foster was spayed on Monday, he was neutered on Tuesday and by Thursday I couldn't keep them still. My vet always sends them home to me right after surgery, so the first night was he groggy. The one piece of advice I have been given is not to let them eat or drink (even if the vet says it is okay) when you get home right after the surgery. So I usually let them sleep all evening, take small bits to drink and no food till the next morning. Just in case of a reaction to the anethesia like people.
    A speedy recovery to your little man!
    Ashlie, Jillian, and Tulley (Lily was adopted today- so I am a bit blue)

6. Sabrina Jay

Sabrina Jay Boxer Insane

We tell people to offer a VERY SMALL amount of water in the evening, then if they hold that down, to offer a SMALL amount of food later on. If they drink too much water too quick, they will vomit. Same with food if they eat too much after surgery. Yes, the anethesia seems to bother some more than others with regards to water & food. We also tell people that it is not uncommon for them not to even want to eat the first night after surgery, and if this is the case, not to force them to eat. Generally, the following day, they are wanting to drink & eat as normal. If they don't, we have people call us.

7. Msboop

Msboop Boxer Booster

Thank you all for the advice. I know I will post about this again when the big day is closer for some more words of support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.