1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neutering - overnight stay?

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Mesquite, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mesquite

Mesquite Boxer Booster

My husband called the vet to inquire about neutering Jake and was told that they would want us to drop him off one morning and then pick him up the next day.

Is an overnight stay at the vet typical for a neutering? I'm thinking that after surgery Jake will just be stuck in a crate in a dark office (and left alone), so I fail to see the point and think he would be happier at home. He's my baby so this idea does not appeal to be at all!

2. Sugarcain

Sugarcain Super Boxer

I've never kept any of mine overnight for spay or neuter surgery.

3. sandy's mom

sandy's mom Boxer Insane

My vet keeps females overnight after spaying, but males he just keeps for the day.

4. lmorey

lmorey Boxer Booster

When Cash had his neutering, the vet required him to stay overnight as well. They said it was mainly as a safety precaution, so that he would not open his wounds since he came out of the surgery acting like nothing had happened foolicon It was one of the longest nights for us - all I could think about was him sitting in a crate at the vet wondering why we had left him there with no people to entertain him. We went to bed early that night (we had planned on having a fun "free of the kid" night but were too worried about him) and got up early to go get him the next morning. He did nothing but mope once we got him home, but I think it was because he was starting to feel the effects of the surgery. He bounced back very quickly though!

5. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

No, it isn't really normal - most neuters are sent home the same day. A straightforward neuter is really a fairly minor surgery, so it is really just the after effects of anasthetic that needs to wear off a bit before he can come home (and that doesn't take all night).

I would suggest that you ask your vet why he wants to keep the dog overnight. And - importantly - if there is going to be a person there with him all night long to observe. If there isn't (and there usually isn't!) then the dog can be better observed at home.

6. RileyandMax

RileyandMax Boxer Buddy

Our dog was recently neutered, well a more invasive surgery because his testicles never dropped, and he stayed over night.

Our vet said that usually after a "normal" neutering, they let them go home, unless the dog isn't recovering quickly or whatever. He also said in houses with multiple dogs, they sometimes like to keep them overnight because it's harder to keep a recovering dog calm with other dogs around (especially high energy dogs).

7. darwinsmom

darwinsmom Super Boxer

Darwin was also a cryptorchid (undescended testicles) so his surgery was more like a spay than a normal neuter. Nevertheless he came home with us at the end of the day. He looked pretty pathetic that first night. The vet techs said he stood all day long. And when we got home he continued to stand until about midnight even though he was obviously very tired. I can only guess he was in some pain. It was distressing but the next day he was fine.

-Karlyn

8. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Yep ditto this. My boy was also with an undescended testicle, he had 3 incisions and he came home after a couple of hours and was just fine.

9. Mesquite

Mesquite Boxer Booster

Apparently this vet keeps them overnight as standard procedure. He seems to be very good; lots of good recommendations. I think I'm just being a baby about it. Honestly one night away from us is not going to hurt either one of us, right?

Anyway, surgery is scheduled for Friday and I'm betting Jake will be really confused as to why he can't have breakfast that morning!

10. sriley

sriley Completely Boxer Crazy

When I had my first Boxer neutered, the clinic's standard procedure was to keep the dog for the night. My vet quite willingly let me sign a waiver to bring him home the same day. I have no regrets. All he did was sleep off the anesthetic and was back to his Boxer antics the next morning. If you don't feel comfortable leaving your dog for the night and he's undergoing a standard neuter, I would inquire about bringing him home the same day. I just couldn't justify paying more money to have the clinic keep my boy for the night when there wasn't going to be anyone there to watch him. Knowing that he would just sleep off the effects of surgery, what difference would it have made if he slept at the clinic in a crate, or in the comfort of his own home? Best of luck with the surgery on Friday. We'll be thinking about you all.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.