Neuter

Status
Not open for further replies.

schipperj25

Boxer Booster
I need help. I am sick of arguring with my wife and mother in-law about fixing Duke. The only argue is that God made them that way but they say its ok to fix a female. I have hammered into them the reasons for neutering and they are still against it. I took my with me to the vet to have them tell her why it is good but she still dont give a %$&#. I am sick of it. The vet said they have seen alot of problems with unfixed dogs that cost a lot to care for and my wife said she dont care. She keeps saying that her other boxer never had a problem so he wont. I said there is no guarntee that he wont have a problem so that is all she cares about. She gets pissed when I want to talk about it. Man I have had it!!!!!!!! I about to just have her pissed off at me and get him fixed. I guess that wount be good so I dont know what to do. Thanks for letting me rant and rave.

AvalancheBoxer

Boxer Booster
Well,.
May I ask why she dont want to get him neutered?
Is it the cost of the neuter?
Option #1... If so, you can usually get a coupon for 25% off the surgery through your local humane society. Its about the cost of a nice evening out.
Option #2... Offer her the chance to spend the same amount of money on herself.. maybe there is something she is wanting and you can bribe her into it?? LOL!

If money isnt an issue, ask her if she wants duke running off to hunt a female in heat miles away, risking his life and health and then being locked up by local animal control, only to pay massive fees to get your dog back, which you only get him back if you have proof of rabies vaccinations. Ask her to name 5 reasons why he doesnt need to be neutered, and you name 5 as well (Im sure you can name more than 5 reasons he should be neutered).
Then tell her that if he should contract testicular cancer, that the bills could be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than the neuter to even try to save him.

If all else fails, you are right, and maybe you should go ahead with the neuter for your dogs sake.

M

MarleysMom

Good for you for wanting to do the right thing! Stick to your guns and get him fixed - no matter what!

Julie445

Super Boxer
I agree, good for you!!!
There is nothing unhappier then an unneutered male dog that smells a female in heat. I think it is cruel to subject your boy to this and if it hasn't happened yet, it will sometime. I have had 2 males now and at 6 months they were both neutered. With the health problems boxer can face, why add testicular cancer to it if it can possibly be prevented. Another of my big worries when I hear that people won't neuter is that what if your boy gets out and stolen or worse, hit by a car!!!! I sure wish you luck in convincing your wife that this is a good thing to do for your boy, there are definately more pros for it then cons.

Use the search engine here on BW to find posts from Buddy's mom from around January and February 2000. The story of poor Buddy's agonizing death (and the heartbreak it caused his parents, and many of his "aunts and uncles" here on the forums) from a prostate cancer that could have been prevented by neutering. Jean and Alan had been advised by their vet that neuter was not necessary, and they lost him at 7 after a terrible illness. Show the posts to your wife and m-i-l, that should help make your case.

Good on you for wanting to do the best by your boy. Neuter prevents so many unwanted behaviors, and many health problems too.

:)

buddy'smom

Boxer Pal
Hi schipperj25

Quote from Avalanche

Then tell her that if he should contract testicular cancer, that the bills could be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than the neuter to even try to save him.
End Quote
I wish we had the chance to try and save Buddy, the bills and money would have been welcomed, however there was nothing that could save him. Unfortunatly most prostate, or testicular cancers are not caught until it is Too Late.

I have PM'd you the threads you have asked for. You have no idea how hard it is to deal with watching a boxerboy suffer, then die from a death that may have been prevented with a neuter surgery.

Jean

Last edited:

schipperj25

Boxer Booster
I just wanted to update the situation. Duke just came home from the vet after being neutered. I am sooo happy. If you saw the post about him getting out well that is the reason my wife didnt give me any grief about it. I have a hugh burdon lifted off my chest now. I am not in consant fear that he will have a problem related to being unaltered. Thanks for yalls support.

AvalancheBoxer

Boxer Booster
I just had to ask... That innocent dog in the avatar, is that the Duke that escaped? Surely not, with the look on that face, he would NEVER do anything like that............ :LOL: :LOL:

VTbxrFan

Boxer Insane
I'm so glad to hear that your wife finally agreed with you -- having Duke neutered is the best thing for him. I hope he has a speedy recovery and gets back to his old self (minus escaping!) quickly!

Bosco'sMom

Super Boxer
Oh my goodness! I'm having the exact same problem!
Except it's my husband that won't allow Bosco to get neutered.
Go here to read my post: http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30000&highlight=bosco+neuter

Then tell me how I can convince him to let me get it done.
I would also like to read the Buddy post but can't find it.

P.S. I noticed where your from. Maybe you can bring your wife to the next boxer bash in Allen and I will make hubby come and we can gang up on him! (he, he).

Status
Not open for further replies.