1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needing positive vibes and prayers

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by ForeverMama, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForeverMama

ForeverMama Boxer Insane

I haven't posted in quite some time, but right now I need your help, We need all the positive vibes and prayers for one of my rescues that we can get. We rescued her when she was about three months old. She had heartworms when we got her and she came thru like a champ.

Walli is now nine years old. She slowed way down on her eating about a month ago. She is a picky eater and had done this before for a period of time then would get back to normal so I didn't worry much about it. Then last week she started throwing up. At first it was just every once in a while. Since last Friday it has been every time she ate. Sometimes right away and others after a good bit of time passed. Sunday it was four times. I fixed her some bland chicken and rice, but she couldn't even keep that down. After throwing up her food she kept throwing up what seemed to be mostly very slimy bile. I took her to the vet first thing Monday morning. She had no energy at all. They did a complete blood panel which looked good. Sent me home with Cerenia 60 mg. One tablet 30 to 45 minutes before eating. Within 30 minutes after giving her the meds, she threw that back up. No food involved. Back to the vet. He then took an xray which didn't show anything. I brought her home with some ID food which she ate exactly one bite of. He wanted her back this morning to do a thing where they gave her barium and took six xrays over eight hours and the barium went threw her system, but ever so slowly. So she doesn't have a blockage. They gave her a shot of Reglan while she was there. Sent us home with Reglan 10 mg. and Flagyl 500mg. I give her half a tablet of Reglan 30 mnutes before eating and the Flagyl and hour after eating if she keeps the food down. I did what he said and fed her the 1/2 cup chicken and rice. It has been 2 1/2 hours now and so far she is keeping it down.

If she starts throwing up our next option is ultrasound or open her up and check for stomach cancer. I really trust this vet. Without coming out and saying it, I could tell he is leaning toward the cancer. This is one time I hope he is way off base. I'm praying that she comes thru this like the champ she was when she was a pup.

Sorry this is so long. Just needed to put it all out there for the people I know will understand what I'm feeling right now. We could sure use all the good Boxerworld vibes we can get. I'm hoping that the medicine will do the trick, but that "c" word scares me to death.

Thanks for reading this rambling. I will keep you posted.

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I hope Walli gets better! Sending positive healing vibes your way.------->>>>>

3. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

Lots and lots of positive, healthy (((((vibes)))))! Get Well Soon Walli!

4. ForeverMama

ForeverMama Boxer Insane

So far so good

So far the medicine seems to be working. No vomiting at all. She had a BM this morning. It was loose at first, but firmed up by the time she was through. I figure it may be the barium plus not having anything on her stomach for a day or so. She is doing a lot of sleeping, but I looked Reglan up on line and it said sleepiness can be a side effect.

The vet indicated that if she is going to start throwing up again, it would probably start by this afternoon. It might take 24 hours for the Reglan shot to wear off. I didn't think to ask and he is off today. After he brought up the "c" word, I think I kind of went into to a shock zone. If we can get thru today, I will feel alot better. I'm a big worrier, which I hate. Sometimes I think we love our pets too much, but then again, I don't think you can love them enough.

Will keep you posted.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  5. ForeverMama

ForeverMama Boxer Insane

Not going as I hoped

Well, we made it until about 8:00 last night. She had taken 2 doses of the Reglan and eaten 2 small meals. The second meal was at 2:30 p.m. Then right before I was to give her the 3rd dose of Reglan (8:00 p.m.) she threw up. So with the 3rd dose of Reglan, I also gave her one of the Cerenia he had given me to start out with. He had told me I could give both together if I wanted, but that's after I asked him about it. Since he didn't bring it up first, I thought I would give the Reglan alone to start and hope that worked. It has now been 12 hours and she has kept everything down. Not sure what I should do.

After looking up dog stomach cancer, things don't look good. Chemo and radiation don't really work on cancer of the stomach and surgery usually only gives about six more months and then cancer returns to stomach or other areas. The only thing I couldn't find was what quality of life there would be after surgery. Going to do more research and see what I can find this morning.

If anyone has experience with stomach cancer, I would sure like to hear from you. I just don't know what to do.

6. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Umm I feel for you.. please don't convince yourself that its cancer as you will drive yourself nuts...
    and if its a bacterial infection it will not go away overnight.. Think positive .. sending lots of positive healthy <<<<vibes>>>> your way.

7. ForeverMama

ForeverMama Boxer Insane

Moving in the right direction

No more vomiting since Wednesday night. I can tell she is feeling much better. Even played a little game of chase with Balboa this morning. Tail is back up in the air and just seems to be getting back to her old self. The medicine is still making her sleep alot, but that could help in the healing process. I upped her meals from 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup last night per her vets okay. I'll do that for a day or so then up it again if all goes good. She is 56.8 lbs. right now after the 9 pound loss (since last year when she was last weighed). I take her back to the vet one day next week so they can weigh her. I'm hoping for a little gain, but not expecting too much with the bland diet and the limited quantities I'm able to give her right now. Just so glad things are turning around.

Walli and I want to thank Boxerworld for their healing vibes and support.

8. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

So glad things have turned around!

9. ForeverMama

ForeverMama Boxer Insane

Went back to the vet yesterday. She had gained a pound so that is good. Gave me 10 more days of the Reglan (3 times a day before a meal). Also sent me home with more Cerenia, but I'm only to give her that if she starts vomiting again.

She seemed to be getting tired of the chicken and rice so the vet told me I could add some lean, well drained ground beef. She loved the addition. I have increased her from the original half cup each meal to a full cup now. He told me I could go up as far as 1 1/2 cups per meal so I will start increasing a little at a time.

She still doesn't seem her old self, but I feel it may take some time to get her strength back. When she starts back running the fence with the neighbors' dogs, I'll know she's back to being herself. Can't wait.

10. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

That's great news... Here,s to running the fence again !!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.