Needed career advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodgn_AK

Completely Boxer Crazy
I am having a little dilema. I have always had a keen interest in criminology and law enforcement. The local police department is desperate for officers right now as they will have a lot of folks retiring this year. I have thought many times of applying, but I am afraid of failing. And there are certain aspects I am not sure I would like. The positives outweigh the negative, for instance, the police officers here are paid well, they do not require any college credits (which i have hardly any) the minimum patrol time is 2 years (which is great because I want to be either a k9 unit or work in homicide), the retirement is great and its a career. Right now I am working in a law firm and I hate it. Can anyone give me advice? I emailed a recruiter and am hoping they can help as well. Thanks

myrocky

Boxer Insane
Law enforcement is great, I have my degree in that feild. I did my intern in a maximum secuity state prison. The only thing I can say is that you have to be prepared for the stress. It is alot of emotional stress because you see things the general public does not. You have to be able to joke about the things that you see otherwise you will get burnt out fast! If you don't think that these things will bother you then I suggest go for it. Also look into doing a ride along with a cop for his shift to get a feel for things.

wildchild

Boxer Booster
My husband is a Sheriffs Deputy in our county and he loves it.

There are definate pros with law enforcement, we have great insurance and benefits, he receives a lot of paid time off and tons of sick days. The pay is good also and Andy will be able to retire when he is 41.

Of course all jobs have cons-very stressfull, Andy works in the jail, so he has to deal with "bad guys" on a daily basis. I have noticed that hubby has become a lot more caliced since becoming a deputy-but i guess thats understandable when you work with rapists and murders 40+ hrs a week. I dont know about where you are , but here the deputies have two set days off a week. If your day off falls on a holiday, youre lucky, if not-youre stuck working. You might also get stuck on a crappy shift at first-here the shifts are 7-3,3-11 and 11-7. Andy works second-first is about impossible to get unless youve got a lot of time your belt, and lots of people like third too shift also.

I would definately look into it, it is definately a field with pleanty of job security and the ability to move up.

Dodgn_AK

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thanks for the reply guys :) I understand that I will be seeing things that the average person won't, and I think I can handle it. This is terribly morbid, but I am facinated by all the things entailed in a murder investigation. There are jobs open in corrections, but I really have no desire to work in the rehabilitation end of it, plus the opening is at the sex offender facility, yuck. I expect the crappy shifts, and at first I didn't like the idea because I am so used to holidays and weekends off, but the more I think about it, it won't be so bad. Part of the reason I am really putting more thought into this, aside from wanting to do something with my life, is that a former cop talked to me about it and he thinks I have the right mentality for it. Im afraid I won't have the physical ability lol. Guess I need to head to the gym and start running. Oh, I am in Anchorage Alaska :)

Boxerworld

BW owner
Staff member
I have always had a keen interest in criminology and law enforcement
The positives outweigh the negative
I am facinated by all the things entailed in a murder investigation
the more I think about it, it won't be so bad
Right now I am working in a law firm and I hate it

And you were still hesitating? :D
It seems you will enjoy that job. It's hard to give an advice about careers to someone you haven't met in person but if you hate your current job, I think it is safe to tell you to try to find another job ASAP!
I think working for the justice is a very rewarding job.
Good luck!

Olly

buddy'smom

Boxer Pal
There are jobs open in corrections, but I really have no desire to work in the rehabilitation end of it, plus the opening is at the sex offender facility, yuck.

While taking my DSW courses, my one psych course required me to do a month in a sex offender ward in a psychiatric unit. Yuck is an understatement. It is soo hard to put aside your feelings and prejudices on a daily basis and deal with them on a professional level. I quite often went home in tears of anger. Thank goodness the month went by fast.

Anyway, I say go for your career change. It sounds like you have weighed all the pros and cons, and have pretty much justified it is the right thing to do! Good luck

Jean

Lisa M

Completely Boxer Crazy
Don't not try because you are uncertain if you will suceed. Apply, ask questions, learn more, if you are offered the job then you can decide if you want to go for it or stay where you are. If they don't offer it then tell yourself what fools they were for not wanting to hire you - there's no failure in that ;) Better to try and fail then never to seek out an opportunity. Sometimes I have to ask ten different people about buying a painting before I get one sale, but the "Yes" that I finally get is the only answer that matters. If I didn't ask anyone - nothing would sell at all.

I recently applied for a job that I wasn't sure I'd be able to take, I was offered it but the timing didn't work out so I had to decline the offer. But getting the job offer boosted my ego and I determined that it wasn't the right place for me - the timing not working out was just the universe's way of letting me know for sure.

Good luck!

BoxerDadx3

Boxer Booster
I am a retired corrections officer for the state of Maryland. First of all, it's nothing like you see in the movies. I worked at a medium security prison. There are different levels. I was working the day of a riot. Imagine six hundred inmates with pillow cases and rags over their faces carrying homemade weapons. Yes you are dealing with convicted felons daily, with no weapons. You have to be an officer, psycologist, nurse and more all wrapped up into one. It takes someone who can handle the stress, and not bring in home to your family. The life expectancy for corrections officers is eight years less than the normal person. I'm not trying to sound jaded, but that's the way it is. Good luck in your choice!

myrocky

Boxer Insane
Boxerdadx3

Whew I hear ya! I did my internship at a super max state prision in PA. It was great I loved it, but I love corrections. Anyway working there is soooo mentally draining. When I came home at the end of the day. I showered at dinner and was in bed at least by 9pm. You can't go in there being off your mark or you will be a target. I worked in the psych unit and I dealt with all kinds. The guys who have it the worst are the officers assigned to the Restricted housing (or the hole). They are rotated alot or else they will get burned out quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.