1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to find Bonnie a home

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by BonnieBoxer, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Althea

Althea Completely Boxer Crazy

Oh, but do be aware that boxers are on the "dangerous dog" lists in several states, and can affect a landlord's insurance, so you might come upon that. Don't let it discourage you. I have always had boxers for the last 8 years, and I've always rented (want to buy in the near future!). Just had to find the right situations. Wish you lived closer -- I could definitely get you in somewhere! :)

2. Murp.mm

Murp.mm Boxer Insane

Just sent up a prayer to help you find the right apartment. Prayers can do wonders!! Good Luck. Hugs

3. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Below are some tips for convincing a landlord;

Let your landlord know you understand his point of view. Most landlords have good reason for not wanting dogs on rental property. Irresponsible dog owners are notorious for damaging floors, irritating neighbors, having smelly apartments, leaving messes everywhere, and being obnoxious in general about their dogs. And when you get right down to it, irresponsible dog owners far outnumber the responsible dog owners.

Offer a pet contract-in the contract you can describe exactly what you will do to ensure the property wont be damage (for example you can agree to always crate the dog when you are not there to supervise), agree that the dog will be free of fleas, ensure that the dog is friendly and approachable, agree to clean up any and all messes the dog leaves anywhere on the property. And consider asking your landlord if he has any specific concerns he wants addressed and add them into your contract

Offer a pet deposit - sometimes this will put the landlord's mind at ease.

Offer to slightly increase your rent- Some landlords will allow a pet to stay for an additional 25.00 a month

Offer a meeting. Not every landlord will want to meet a pet, but give him the option of doing so. Seeing a well-behaved pet for himself may help to put the landlord's mind at ease.

Get letters of reference -for your pet. Letters from previous landlords are great... ask them to state what good tenants both you and your pet were. Veterinarians can write reference letters stating what a responsible pet owner you are and how you ensure your pet always receives regular and appropriate medical care & vouch for her sound temperment. You can also include letters from pet-sitters, neighbors, dog trainers, etc.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  4. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

as a former property manager ( 38 homes ) i ONLY had 3 besides mine that i allowed dogs. those 3 got to have there pet because they basically did what EAO suggested !!!

and it NEVER EVER hurts to ASK even if the ad says NO pets - always try to talk them into it !all they can do is say no - but if they sound on the fence - bring out the big guns - and give them ur speech about - references , higher rent , offer to professionally have carpets cleaned once a year , kinda thing !!

our prayers are with u that u find a home and can keep ur baby !!

GOOD LUCK !

5. BonnieBoxer

BonnieBoxer Boxer Buddy

Just wanted to give a little update. My husband called back one of the realators that told us no before and told her we would pay $100 extra each month and leave an additional $500 security deposit and she got back to us last night that the owner said ok. We are going to see the apartment this evening and if all goes well we will have a new apartment not far from where we are now and the best of all we get to keep Bonnie. I wanted to thank you all for your suggestions and well wishes and if you can keep your fingers crossed that we get the place that would be great.

6. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

Good luck for tonight!!! I hope it all works out for your familie and Bonnie!

7. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

That's great news! I wish more dog owners put the same effort into finding dog-friendly rentals that you are. My fingers will definitely be crossed for you :)

8. Althea

Althea Completely Boxer Crazy

Excellent! Many kudos to you for working so diligently even when the deck seemed stacked against you. We'll keep our fingers crossed, toes crossed and wiggle our nubs until we hear how it went! ;)

9. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

Nice! Fingers crossed things go well!

10. BonnieBoxer

BonnieBoxer Boxer Buddy

The 1st apartment we were going to go to called us right before we were leaving and told us forget about it they had found another renter. But i immediatly went online and found a apartment called and they said fine to Bonnie without even blinking an eye. We went and seen it and signed the lease last night. We don't have to pay anything extra for having her and were moving in tomorrow. Luck was on our side last night when we found this place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.