1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to find Bonnie a home

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by BonnieBoxer, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BonnieBoxer

BonnieBoxer Boxer Buddy

On April 24th we had a fire in our apartment building and since then we have learned that our apartment is illegal. Due to all of this we have to move and have come to a hard decision that Bonnie needs a new home. We don't want to do this but have to. All of the apartments we have looked at have said no to us because we have a dog. I don't know anybody that i can trust with her so i turn to this board for help. She's going on 2 this June and is the greatest dog ever. She is fully trained, spayed and vax'ed. She's great with other animals and children. This is one of the hardest decisions we have had to make.

2. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

Sorry to hear about the fire and your apartment. How heartbreaking for you both. I can't imagine you having her as a family member for two years then having the hard decision of re-homing her. Your best bet is to find a boxer rescue group and get in contact with them about placing her. And in the meantime, I might urge you to keep looking for places that are dog friendly. There may be a happy ending in this after all. Good luck to you both.

3. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

There are several rescues that cover NYC, including the one I volunteer for (Adopt a Boxer Rescue). If you do a Google search on boxer rescue for New York, you should see us and a few others. I know we have a section on owner surrender with instructions on what to do. Under the circumstances, I'm sure you'll get assistance.

4. BonnieBoxer

BonnieBoxer Boxer Buddy

Thanks for the link. I'm still looking everyday for a new apartment that allows dogs cause the least thing we want to do is have to give her away. It will be heartbreaking not only for us but for her and i will only do it as my last resort. But i may only have 2 weeks left here so my time is running out. Just writing this brings tears to my eyes and is very tough but i just want the best for all of us.

5. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

good luck

i am so soo sorry for ur fire and having to make that decision ~~ i only wish i could afford the time off from work - i would come get her !!!

good luck in ur search for a home that will let u take her - and the other posters gave u great links ~~ hope this works out ... :) .. even thought its a sad time for u , :(

6. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

I just sent out a request for a resource to locate dog friendly rentals in NYC. I'll post back if I get a response.

I would contact the area rescues anyway - they may be able to point you in the right direction or give you another option. I'm in the Philly area, so my knowledge of Brooklyn is limited.

7. Althea

Althea Completely Boxer Crazy

Bonnie -- check out local homes for rent. Be prepared to pay extra security, and I would offer them to pay double security if they'll let you have your pet. Homes are more likely to accept dogs, and even in Brooklyn, I'm sure there are some homes that haven't sold and people are willing to rent. That is what we found. I work for a landlord and I know how hard it is to home a big dog. We do accept them, though, so don't lose heart. I know you can find the right situation. If worse comes to worse, rescue may be what you have to do, but I wouldn't do that until you've turned over every stone. I'll try to think about what else to look for, but homes for rent or townhouses are your best bet.

Best of luck, and we are rooting for you!!

8. BonnieBoxer

BonnieBoxer Boxer Buddy

Thank you very much

Bonnie is our boxers name.
    My husband just called back a realator that had a local apartment near us listed and asked her if we offered to pay an extra security deposit or even more a month would they allow for us to have Bonnie. We're waiting to hear back from her. But for now on when i call i'm going to make the offer that we will pay more cause we will do anything to not have to give her up.

9. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

10. Althea

Althea Completely Boxer Crazy

Good for you! Contact several local real estate agents, and see what houses they have for rent, but also -- canvas the neighborhood you want to live in and look for "for sale by owner" or similar signs. Call and ask. If you are willing to pay more and they can get a renter in there, they may be willing to deal. It will also help if you have a landlord reference since you've had Bonnie (love that name!) and can show how well she behaves. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.