Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoDogs

Boxer Insane
My guy is a chronic poo eater and has been since he came to me at 2.5 years. Even after he was no longer malnurished and was on an premium diet that includes vitamins and supplements he ate his poo--it was a learned behavior/habit. Here's what works for us.

Trained a really reliable "leave it" so if I catch him in the act of sniffing at, going for, or starting to nibble/lick at any poo I can call him off of it.

Clean all poo up as soon as possible. With 3 dogs I've found the easiest thing is to just follow them out in the morning when they are most likely to go and scoop it up as it happens.

Add the coprophagia tablets to his meals. He only eats his own poo, so I only give it to him, but if he were to eat the other dogs' poo, I would have to give them all the tablets.

He hasn't eaten his poo in ages. He doesn't even sniff at it anymore but I still give him the tablets because it would only take one time and I think he'd be right back at it.

Flower lady

Boxer Pal
So you think its just the way he is and he may have this problem on and off . I did think it would be hard to break him of it now it seems to be established. The funny thing is our other boxer a resue approx five years , if we are out on a walk and his ball rolls near any poo he wont go near it and I have to wipe it with tissue, thats why Ive found it so hard to deal with, but thanks for the suggestions at least I know I am doing the right things and other people do have the same problems.

Sansal

Boxer Insane
In response to sansal, is it working long term with you removing it before he has chance to eat it, I was thinking I have to put him off hence the pepper idea. Do you think your puggle is loosing interest, or if you left it again would he still go for it.

She would definitely go for it if given the chance. It is definitely a habit for her. I think not even pepper would deter her :eek:

Add the coprophagia tablets to his meals. He only eats his own poo, so I only give it to him, but if he were to eat the other dogs' poo, I would have to give them all the tablets.

What kind/brand are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.