Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flower lady

Boxer Pal
Can anybody please offer me some advice .My eight month old pup will not stop poop eating and its driving me mad. I have tried various suggestions from the forum to no avail he is a lot smarter than me. We have two other dogs and its theirs that is most appealing.I have tried the pineapple,no fooling him there,I have tried clearing away immediately but you have to be quick.I was thinking about leaving it there and putting something like pepper on it so he wont want it, I really am at my wits end . I have seen adverts for tablets and powder to put on food ,anybody tried this? and how long does it take to work?Please help I am desperate.

TyTysmom

Super Boxer
Tyson started doing this but it lasted less than a week, I don't know if it's because we immediately started putting pineapple in his food or if he just realized how gross it was but thankfully he stopped.

I did look into some food additives on Drs. Foster & Smith that I was going to purchase if the pineapple didn't work.

Hope you can resolve the issue soon. It is truly gross!

Flower lady

Boxer Pal
It has been going on a while I think before I knew what was happening now I think I have a reel fight on my hands. I have just tried the pepper idea , he keeps going to it and sniffing , we will see, if he eats that its got to put him off surely.

LillyBear

Boxer Booster
My daighter's frenchy did that when she first brought him home. Besides it being gross it causes health problems. There's a term for it but I can't remember it. We tried the pineapple thing and I don't think it worked. We just picked up as soon as he pooped and eventually he stopped. It was his own poop he was eating though.

Good luck. I wiish I could be more help.

Roge

Boxer Insane
Just a thought but he may not be getting enough food as the guide lines on the package are only guidlines.

Sansal

Boxer Insane
My puggle is eating my boxers poo, so gross. The only thing that works for us is being on top of things and picking it up right away. It still happens here and there (she is fast) but we mostly have it under control. We tried everything else and nothing worked long term.

Flower lady

Boxer Pal
Yes, maybe he is not getting enough food as I am feeding him from packet guide,maybe I will increase a bit. Its a bit difficult as you dont want to over feed do you, but he is a big pup.

jacquim

Boxer Booster
What kind of food are you feeding him? I've heard that sometimes they do this because they are lacking nutrients (especially vitamin B). It is only one of a variety of reasons that they eat it though, and sometimes it is just because they like to do it.
If it isn't anything nutritional or medical causing it, your best bet probably would be just to try to pick it up asap so that he doesn't have the opportunity to eat it and maybe he will eventually get out of the habit of doing so.
My sister's beagle eats her poop and will literally spin around right after she is done pooping and gobble it up .... then again she also eats EVERYTHING else too. Thankfully my guys don't do it. One of my previous dogs would like to play with hers though and when it would freeze in the winter she would pick it up and toss it in the air. The only way to stop her from playing with it was to pick it up right away or to not have her outside unsupervised.

Flower lady

Boxer Pal
In response to sansal, is it working long term with you removing it before he has chance to eat it, I was thinking I have to put him off hence the pepper idea. Do you think your puggle is loosing interest, or if you left it again would he still go for it.

Flower lady

Boxer Pal
He is on good quality food , I mean being as he is only eight months he might be lacking in something , we thought at first it was just a puppy thing,but the longer it goes on the more worried I am. We do have a doggy door so the trio can have some freedom when we are at work. May be we have given him to much freedom but Im sure he knows its wrong, as he does it when he knows I cant stop him , I worried its becoming a habbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.