1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help finding low fat high fiber dog food for dog with pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by mjdog, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjdog

mjdog Boxer Pal

Hi, our 7 year old boxer mix started having trouble with his pancreas.(pancreatitis)
    After being at the vet on IV/ antibiotics and not eating for a week and using purina EM prescription dog food his problem came back.
    So back to the vet for round two of IV/ antibiotics.This time they gave us Purina OM prescription food.
    His last blood work shows slow improvement.
    Another vet recommended hills science diet R/D-low fat high fiber after a second opinion visit.
    After reading reviews and ingredients of both foods I am not thrilled about the ingredients.
    Can someone please recommend a better brand of food that is high fiber and low fat.
    Thanks

2. Loladog

Loladog Boxer Booster

You could try Wellness Core Reduced Fat. The fat % is under 10% and it's high fiber.

3. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

Natural Balance Reduced Calorie has an 8% fat and 8% fiber content.

Whatever food you end up feeding, try feeding small meals throughout the day rather than one or two big ones. Small meals won't stimulate the pancreas as much.

You can up the fiber content of any meal by adding some cooked sweet potato.

4. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight formula has a 6% fat content and a 7% fiber content. It has a 20% protein content compared to Natural Balance's RC 18% protein. FWIW, the BB has only 3291 kcal/kg compared to Nat Bal's 3342 kcal/kg.

Your dog is 7 years old, given his age, a reduced calorie diet that also meets his low fat and high fiber requirements might not be a bad choice.

5. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

When my boy got pancreatitis last year, the first week was boiled chicken and sweet potoatoes 4x a day. I tried a few different dry foods and ended back on the chicken and sweet potatoes. We finally did canned for a few months, but it was costly. (TOTW Pacific Stream $2.50/ per can x 3 can per day= $225/month) The key is not to overwork the pancreas. He has been weaned back to dry food but the big turning point for us was adding fiber, by adding psyllium to his food. I get it at The Vitamin Shoppe, others order it online. Thor being a senior (almost 10yo), I don't think he'll ever fully recover, so we've adjusted to him being fed 3x day. I also add prozyme, which is an enzyme that aids in the digestion, which again keeps the pancreas from over working. Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.