1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help finding a cat rescue in Northeast GA

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Gatorblu, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

I need some help. My FIL has over a dozen cats. He has always taken in strays. He has always gotten them fixed and taken care of any other medical needs as well as kept them well fed. He is now starting to suffer from dementia and is having trouble taking care of himself. I would like to find a no-kill shelter to take the cats. The local Humane Society is very blunt about their policy. Frankly, after reading there website, I just cringed. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! He is in Hartwell, GA.

2. Holden's Mom

Holden's Mom Boxer Insane

3. SabrinaMN

SabrinaMN Boxer Booster

Good Mews is great, but they are often full. I live right down the street from them. It would be worth checking. If they are full, they will likely have other options for you to call.
    I would look for no kill rescues in that area. Gainesville, cumming, suwanee, Alpharetta are all close cities to there that are less rural, so may have more options for you. I will talk to a friends who's mom does cat rescue and see what she says. We live about an hour from Hartwell. How many cats are there? From what you described I'm assuming they are not feral. If they are, there is a specific organization for feral cats you can call.

4. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

Thank you both! When I talked to his neighbor this morning she said she thinks he is up to twenty cats. I don't think any are feral, but I am not sure. I know he feeds them on a sun porch on the back of his house and they all show up around feeding time. Most are indoor/outdoor cats, some stay indoors, and one or two just show up for feedings, I think. My husbands parents seperated before he was born and he and his father are not particualrly close, so we have not been in too much steady contact. I am getting as much info as I can from half a country away. We are trying to figure out a way for my husband to get down there and deal with things. I want as much info as possible to do so efficiently.

5. rayandsarah

rayandsarah Completely Boxer Crazy

Another option could be looking into people needing barn cats. The shelter I work at is constantly having people come in for barn cats.

6. Lisa H

Lisa H Completely Boxer Crazy

We live next to a large amish community too that are also always looking for barn cats....not sure if you have any amish in the area but it is worth a shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.