Need advice re pet as Christmas gift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda

Boxer Insane
I'd like some advice on this.
Please understand I think giving a pet as a gift is about the worst idea, but...
Here's my situation.
My parents have been without a pet for some time now (their cat died several years ago).

They recently went to the Humane Society and looked at cats. My understanding is they couldn't agree on one--mom wanted a kitten, dad wanted an older cat.

I was thinking of giving them some cat items (dish, toys, etc.) and a gift certificate for the Humane Society. Then, after the holidays, they can choose a cat.

Give me some feedback please. What do you think?
Thanks. :)

mysticalblues

Boxer Booster
I think that would be a great idea. You know that they definately want a cat, and this way they can decided which is best for them, a kitten or a cat.

------------------
Pam

Brody--6/99 Male neutered. Very handsome brindle.

Linda, great idea, I love the gift certificate idea. I think you are doing the right thing. To get a pet after Christmas is best.

------------------
Cindy Corl
Lacie female, brindle, natural ears,7-17-99

Amy Lyn

Super Boxer
That is a great idea! How thoughtful of a gift! Let us know how they like it!

------------------
Amy Lyn
Wagner (Fawn, black mask) b: 04/25/00
Clark (Fawn, black mask) b: 03-11-99 (Rainbow Bridge 05-06-00)

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like a great idea! :D

------------------
Jan
Markus, dark brindle
neutered male, 6 yrs old

Julie Davis

Boxer Insane
What a great idea! And who knows, maybe your parents will compromise and get one adult cat, AND one kitten!

------------------
Boomer, flashy red fawn, 2/19/00, natural ears, docked tail, heart of gold
Brandy, yellow/white Beagle 1/00
Baxter, grey tabby, 3/96
Casey, Sue, Pierre, Mitzi, Tinker, Tanya, and Tessa waiting at the bridge, and always in my heart

nanabear

Banned
That is EXACTLY what I did for my grandaughter's 8th birthday. But first I asked my daughter if it was all right. When she said "Yes" I purchased everything you would need to bring home a kitty, including litter pan, litter, food, toys. Along with a gift certificate at their local humane society and also pre-paid the vet for first shots (spay/neuter was included in cost at the shelter.) These were all wrapped nicely for her to open.............after which she said "Gee, I wish I had a kitty to use all this stuff." So when the time was right for everyone, we made the trip to the shelter and she chose the best one for her, Molly.
I would never surprise *ANYONE* with an animal, no matter how much it was wanted. If there is *any* problem, it will be your fault! But if they choose their own, they are more likely to put up with the problems that come with any pet.

buddy'smom

Boxer Pal
Fantastic Idea!! What they did on the Martha Stewart special was she showed putting the gift certificate on a stuffed animal, in your case a stuffed kitty. I think your parents will be very pleased with your gift.

Jean

------------------
Jean
Buddy--Born May 4 1993
Male Fawn
Cropped Ears
Our best friend and companion

Kailee--Female Brindle
Natural Ears
Born Oct. 16, 1998
Adopted by us October 27, 2000

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buddy'smom:
Fantastic Idea!! What they did on the Martha Stewart special was she showed putting the gift certificate on a stuffed animal, in your case a stuffed kitty. I think your parents will be very pleased with your gift.

Jean
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HEY MODERATORS!!!! Isn't there a rule about using foul language on this board? "Martha Ste*art!!" :rolleyes: Those are fighting words in my house :D

------------------
Dan from Brooklyn
Proud Pappa to Maggie Mae, Born 6/16/00
Flashy Fawn, docked tail, natural ears.
Pictures: http://www.d-batt.com/Maggie.html

[This message has been edited by Brooklyn-Dan (edited 12-04-2000).]

Status
Not open for further replies.