1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturediet

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by chuds, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuds

chuds Boxer Pal

Hi, feeding my 11 month old, naturediet, seems to agree with him, mixing it with biscuits, just wondering his coat always seems to have dry skin flaking on top of it, tryed vitapoint, and flora margarine in his food, but still horrible flaking on his back. never seems to go, if I brush him, just makes it worse, vet said to try flora in his food,and maybe has he grows it will dissapear, but thinking off changing his food. is this a good food for boxers, what do you reccomend.

2. dharmadoodle

dharmadoodle Boxer Pal

Naturediet is very good food with natural ingredients. I use this myself & Rogue has a lovely coat (people often comment on it). I mix it with James Wellbeloved.

What biscuits (kibble) are you using??

BTW If you order direct from Naturediet in bulk it works out cheaper. ;) You have to phone them to order, the number's on their web page I think.

3. chuds

chuds Boxer Pal

Thanks for the reply,
    when i bought Arthur he had already started eating naturediet, so carried on, glad to hear rogue get on well with it.

I have been giving him Pedigree biscuits, or omega biscuits.

Thanks for the info about ordering direct, i will try there website.

do u give rogue any oils, for his coat to look so good, i tryed vitapoint, but not a great difference.

4. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Chuds: I think your problem is directly related to the food you're feeding. Pedigree is one of the lowest quality dog foods it is possible to get. Well, purina make a few worse ones, but we're seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel with those.

Finding a decent quality dry dog food in the UK is not an easy task, I have to say - there are not very many good brands around here at all. And you'll never find anything of an edible quality in the supermarket. If you want information on what's wrong specifically with Pedigree, just do a search of this forum - there are plenty of previous threads that disect the food in detail.

And there is information at www.boxerworld.com/feeding on how to choose a good quality dry food. There no way for a food to magically be any better than the ingredients used to make it - and that page tells you what to look for, what to avoid, and why.

5. chuds

chuds Boxer Pal

hi thanks for the reply, Arthur main diet is chicken naturediet, then also mixed with these brand biscuits, can you recommend a good mixer with his naturediet, has i feel that the biscuits are maybe, making his skin bad and stools very loose, your advise is appreciated. my vet said that his skin is flaking, due to his fast growth, what do you think ? also about any oils for him.

6. Mollie_T

Mollie_T Banned

I have very good results with Grizzly Salmon Oil, but I don't know if it is available in the UK.

7. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

If you want a good quality kibble (dry food, biscuits), the best one that is currently available in the UK is probably Solid Gold's Hund n Flocken (or perhaps the Wolfking). The only place I know of that you can get it is this site: http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/solid_gold It is the one in the gold bag with green stars and moons that is called "doggy flakes". No idea why they've misnamed it, but rest assured that that is Hund n Flocken.

Not quite so good but easier to get (ie. at most pet stores) is JamesWellbeloved or Burns.

For his coat, you might find that some Omega 3 and Omega 6 essential fatty acids are what are missing from the diet. Good sources of those oils are things like oily fish (canned fish is fine - use sardines, mackeral or pilchards in oil or water (not brine)), Olive and Flaxseed (linseed) oils, or sunflower oil. Just give him a meal or two of oily fish each week, or add a tablespoon of fish, olive or flaxseed oil to his food a couple of times a week. Another good thing would be a raw (or very lightly cooked) egg a couple of times per week (not more though, or it will have a detrimental effect).

8. dharmadoodle

dharmadoodle Boxer Pal

Rogue's diet is the Naturediet original with either duck or turkey James Wellbeloved kibble with 1tsp of non-fat plain yogurt (I buy organic). She has an apple inbetween meals. I use no oils or added extras.

Training treats are mainly sugar-free choc drops.

Her shampoo is mild.

I hope that helps.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.