1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Natural heartworm treatment

Discussion in 'Holistic care' started by duke212, May 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke212

duke212 Boxer Booster

Hi!

We just adopted our sweet 2 yr old Romeo. He is heartworm positive, but the boxer rescue only does the intense 6 week treatment for dogs who have bad heartworm symptoms. Otherwise, they do a 2year treatment of antibiotics and after 2 years most dogs test negative. So Romeo is on the 2 year treatment, but I've been looking into more natural treatments for him. I found something called "Bandits Heartworm treatment"... you can google it and it gives you a complete herb list and schedule etc to treat heartworms. I obviously want to do what is best for Romeo and his health, but hate the thought of him being on antbx for 2 years!

Anyone have any luck or info w/ any remedies!
    Thanks!

2. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

Personally--with heartworms being such a serious issue, I would just stick with what is proven to work, even if it doesn't sound as nice.

What antibiotic is he on? I haven't heard of abs being used to treat heartworm--I know a popular "slow kill" method is to just use regular ivermectin-based heartworm prevention, which to me doesn't sound too bad, since a lot of people keep their dogs on that stuff year-round anyway.

Just my opinion. Good luck to you and Romeo :)

3. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Are you sure it's 2 YEARS?? I've heard of a "slow kill" method that some rescues use, it involves a 2 WEEK regimen of Doxycycline (an antibiotic), then after that you give the dog 2 heartworm pills a month for about 6 months. Two years of antibiotics sounds a bit extreme and not sure if I would be willing to do that to my dog.

I have recently been researching natural/holistic heartworm prevention and think I might go this route with my own dogs. Still not found enough information though to be sure of which supplement or treatment method is safest and most effective, so I am holding off until I know more about it.

I have read on another dog forum that this all-natural product has been successful in treating existing HW infestations. I don't know anything about it but you might consider looking into it.
    HWF (Formerly HeartWorm Free) - Products

Also wanted to add, I recall reading on a holistic vet's website, he has kept his doggy clients HW-free using Heartworm nosodes, which is basically like a "holistic vaccine" against heartworms. Try looking up holistic veterinarians near you.

Good luck with your pup!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  4. BetsyB

BetsyB Boxer Insane

That's what I was going to say as well! I have NEVER heard of a 2 year atbx regimen! 2 weeks of Doxy and a monthly, or bi-monthly dose of Heartguard/Iverhart depending on the if the dog tests low, med, or high HW+

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.