1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Natural Ears in Southern USA

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by JWalkBoxers, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWalkBoxers

JWalkBoxers Boxer Booster

I was wondering if anyone shows their dogs in the North Carolina, Virginia, South Carolina areas. If so, what do you think the chances are of finishing a dog with natural ears? Have there been many natural eared dogs entered in the area? I went to the show in Raleigh over Labor Day weekend, and I only saw one dog with natural ears. She wasn't even noticed.

I love the look of natural ears. I don't feel that cropping ears is cruel or anything as long as an experience veterinary surgeon performs the surgery, I just love the way the floppy ears look. If the chances are really slim of finishing a natural eared dog, then I will have his ears done shortly after I get him. (He will be 8 weeks old when I get him.)

Any opinions are appreciated.

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I have never shown a dog and probably never will so this is just my "unprofessional" opinion.
    I think if MORE people would consider showing natural then it would become more "normal" and they would get recognized for the beauties they are. It may very well take years for judges to pick up on this however to ME it would be worth it.

3. dmcmahan

dmcmahan Boxer Pal

i have a natural ear show dog, and i live in east tennessee. i entered her in 17 akc shows, and never once got a second look. she is a beautiful dog, and i realy think that her ears is what got her overlooked. she gained championship points in april for her ukc title, and i couldnt be more proud of her. she earned her ukc championship in 3 weekends. in my opinion, ukc is more nonjudgemential about the ears. i now have her grandson that i am hopeing to take into the ring next spring, and i did have his ears done in a "show crop" because i am in hopes of pointing him akc as well.

4. JWalkBoxers

This is pretty much what I had figured. I am definitely going to show in obedience and rally, but I don't know if I will subject either of us to the rejection of the conformation ring. I think that the cropped ears are lovely too, but the floppy, natural look is so much cuter IMHO. If he turns out to have exceptional conformation and temperament, then I may give it a shot anyway!

5. KWilson

KWilson Super Boxer

I really like Cami's answer to this question. I have thought about showing once I am able to get a new boxer baby, and I don't really like the idea of getting my dogs ears cropped simply because I am affraid that I'm not going to tape properly or something while they are healing and I'm worried that I would end up with a pup with cropped ears that don't stand. Idk I am silly like that. So I would consider trying to show natural...and who knows like Cami said maybe if more people start showing natural maybe then they would get noticed more...

6. iluvfrankie

iluvfrankie Completely Boxer Crazy

Its so ridiculous that the natural dog would not be considered as in dmcmahan's case. I like natural all the way and really dont see the point in putting our loved ones through completely unnecessary procedures. They are perfect in the way they are born!

7. JWalkBoxers

I have to agree. I wish that all judges would focus on the dog as a whole and would not be biased about their ears either way. Since the standard now allows for cropped or natural ears, it would be great to see judges that would make their decisions based on what the standard calls for. I know that the show world is really subjective, though. That is why I am not 100% sure whether or not I want to try it. But it's like the other posters said, the more people that show natural eared dogs, the more floppies will win!

8. dieselnallie

dieselnallie Boxer Pal

I have a brindle female with natural ears that I'm going to show next year. (She'll be 6 months in December)
    I'm really hoping she won't get looked over in the ring. But I just really like the natural eared look better. She's also a classic so she already has 2 strikes against her. But if the judges really go by the standard, both of those strikes are only cosmetic.
    I hope you do well in the show ring with your Boxer either way you have his ears.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.