My poor Dad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

djheitz

Boxer Insane
He finally came home on Friday :D 28 days is a very long time to spend in the hospital, although I think my Mom is already wishing it had been a week or two longer. He's doing fairly well - back on his feet, better than he was after his brain surgery, but not quite where he was before the heart issue. He's getting both occupational and physical therapy, so we should continue to see improvement over the next few weeks.

The biggest challenge is coming up with a meal plan that will work with both the diabetes and heart. Mom has never been, hmmm...shall we say creative? in the kitchen, so this is definitely something new for her. He did lose almost 30 pounds in the hospital, so he's got a good jumpstart on getting rid of the excess weight.

I really wish they hadn't decided to live an hour away when they stopped traveling in the RV. It's not easy to get there as often as I want (and need) to.

Thank you all for the good vibes and warm wishes! Hugs to all of you! grouphugicon

djheitz

Boxer Insane
Dad Update

He's continuing to recover from the heart surgery. His incision was infected last week, but a dose of antibiotics cleared that up quickly. He's now scheduled to get the bladder tumor removed on April 3. They'll be going through a catheter to get to it...not sure if that's better or worse than being cut open again. Hopefully this will be it for a while.

djheitz

Boxer Insane
Hopefully we're getting close to the end of this run of bad luck...

The surgery went well. Dr said the tumor was larger than he expected and he was really worried about whether or not it had spread through the wall of the bladder. That would have meant much more extensive surgery, possibly to the point of removing the bladder. Well, the preliminary biopsy results are in and it looks really good! Nothing at all showing in the bladder wall :D Dad heads back to the doctor on the 19th and then they'll decide on next steps. We're already been told they want to go back in 6-8 weeks and take another look, it's just a matter of chemo or radiation now.

On a side note - how many of you have idiots for brothers? I didn't go up to see my parents this past weekend because DH and I were both getting over nasty head colds. Well idiot went even though my SIL was also sick. So guess what? Yep, Mom & Dad both caught it. Grrr...

Cami

Boxer Insane
Glad to hear the promising news! appicon

I don't know how old your brother and SIL are but with age comes wisdom! I'd suggest someone have a sit down with them and explain that at minimum your dad can't be exposed to pretty much a mild sniffle right now. His body is using all of its reserves and them some to fight his current health battles. I go through the same thing with my dad (no siblings) but aside from his heart issue he also has a rare bone marrow disorder which is progressive and non-curable. A head cold could end him up in the hospital (actually his oncologist suggests that he go directly the the ER if she feels an illness coming on). I get on my dad and step mother constantly about limiting their exposure but it goes in one ear and out the other. I'd rather have someone mad at ME for trying to protect them than being presented with the worst case scenario.
Good luck shedding some light on the situation with your family!

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
Thats great news!! Now you and your family can at least breathe a little easier. I hope everything ends here and he is as healthy as can be by the next tests!

And yeah......your bro and SIL just weren't thinking at all. I'd let them know how important it is to stay clear of your Dad's house if they have any signs of sickness. A phone call does just as well, if not better, that your Dad can stay comfy without catching an illness or even getting up from his comfy chair to entertain.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I am so glad you got some good news for a change! appicon I hope it is a speedy trouble free recovery from here on out!

If he were my brother I would threaten to hit him upset the head and try to knock some sense into him! When I drove down (from KS to FL) to see my dad after his heart surgery about a week later I ended up with strep throat. While he was rehab he was complaining that his room was too warm, so I bought him a fan. I walked in waved, put the fan in the corner, told I had strep and I loved him and I was leaving so not to infect him. His reply, Thank you for the fan, and thank you for not sticking around! Love you too. We talked by phone after that. I didn't even get to give him a hug before I started back home again.

Status
Not open for further replies.