my new puppy's here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anne

Boxer Buddy
Hi ,eveyone back from my holidays and now have my new puppy,she's 7 wks old and flashy fawn, she has a half black half white face and still has her pink nose.We've had her for three days now,the first night she slept in the kitchen and cried for about 10 mins but last night our older dog stayed there with her and she never cried.She is so cute and a bundle of energy but our older dog is still ignoring her although she wants to play all the time but I suppose its still early days.Her name is Cassie.The breeder was feeding her puppy dog food and dried food alternately but a friend said I should still be giving her something soft and milky what do you think its that long since I had a puppy,also when should I start with some yogurt I read in a puppy book not to give it to puppies is this right? Any advice is welcome.

------------------
cassie's mum

Congrats!!!!!!!! I know you've been waiting for her quiet a while. Here's my two cents...
Don't create a finiky dog..meaning...feed her a good quality puppy food and mix in a bit of water, maybe even warm it a bit in the microwave and let her continue to eat her puppy food. Mixing in other things, would at this point, probably just make her a finicky eater and maybe also give her indigestion (She's still awfully young). Even milk, could give her diarrhea.
A good quality puppy food should give her all the nutrients she needs to grow. I'm glad to hear she is sleeping throughout the night. Your other dog will soon come to like her, but it will take a little bit of time, since she is so energetic still, and still smells like her mamma.
Keep us posted and get some pictures put up of this little bundle of joy!!!!!!
JEnnifer
smile.gif

------------------
Pharaoh/Fawn/Black Mask
Born 9-8-96

www.geocities.com/jemjen24

For the "BOXERWORLD REG'S" PAGE ...CLICK THIS LINK...

www.geocities.com/jemjen24/boxerworldregs.html

Here you can see the Boxerwold REG's with their families and dogs

C

ChrisM

I would keep her on the diet she is used to in order to make the transition smoother for her. I haven't heard not to give puppies yogurt....I gave it to Zelda from the age of 6 weeks and she is doing great!

------------------

Mom to:
LADY - White female, natural ears. Rainbow Bridge February 2000

TESS - Flashy Fawn female, born Dec, 1999, natural ears

ZELDA - Semi-flashy Female, natural ears, born May 31, 2000

Linda

Boxer Insane
Congratulations!!

Aren't boxer puppies the best?!
smile.gif

Is your older dog a boxer?

I agree with everyone else on the food. Keep her on the food she's been eating. Then if you decide to switch brands, GRADUALLY switch by adding a little bit of the new food to the old. Slowly increase the amount of new food until she's getting only the new brand.

There are a lot of things that can upset a puppy's stomach, so I wouldn't add too much to her diet (you don't her to get want diarrhea
eek.gif
).

chickenz

Boxer Booster
hooray!! congrats! our puppy is just over 3 months old and we love her to death! When we got Maggie the breeder was feeding her puppy Iams mixed with a little bit of water to make it soft. That is what we did until she was two months old or so. I heard that if you start doing any thing special with the food you will create a finicky eater. I have never heard anything regarding yogurt. Good luck to you and your new baby!

------------------
Maggie - flashy fawn, born 4/2000, natural ears, part human.

B

brindlemom

Congratulations!!

Yeah when we got Striker at 8 weeks the breeder recommended sticking to the food he was using for a while, then gradually switching to whatever we chose, which is Nutro Natural for Large Breed Puppies.

Have Fun!
Cindy

------------------
Cindy
Striker's Mom
Christmas baby, born 12/25/99. Brindle with white "socks", chest, blaze. Cute as can be!!!

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Congratualations on your new puppy. It must be so exciting to finally have her home As others have said, I would stick with what the breeder was feeding and then gradually switch her over to whatever you food you decide on.

------------------
Jan
Markus, dark brindle
neutered male, 6 yrs old

anne

Boxer Buddy
thanks everyone. Linda my older dog is a cross breed border collie with a big curly tail which the pup like to hang on to and pull,she has been growling at the pup but it is not in the least put out and just barks into the older dog's (tess) face.Tess has actually gave into cassie and let her have a toy first.Ihave just got up this morning with the pup and had a mad half hour where she has tried to chew everthing she sees and has chased the cat who has just plucked up the couraged to come in. She's just woke up again so here goes AGHH!!!

------------------
cassie's mum

GillianF

Boxer Booster
Ah, the joys of having a puppy again! They are soooo cute and cuddly, if they stay still long enough. But cuddling a sleepy puppy is the best - I used to sit in the rocking chair with Ttakas when he woke in the night! Enjoy every minute and take lots of pictures - like kids, they grow so fast!

------------------
Ttakas - Flashy fawn (Male).
Bronte - Flashy brindle (Female.
Littermates - born May 9/97 and real clowns!!

Status
Not open for further replies.