my new favorite butcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathysboxer

Boxer Insane
I called my local slaughter house today and ordered 20# of "dog food scraps" for the dogs (and I use that term loosely LOL). I was told last week that it is either .80 or .88 cents per pound.
When I went to pick it up, the counter girl couldn't even hardly pick up the box. The butcher told me he would take it out the the van for me. As we were walking out to the van, he told me that he made sure it was a little more than 20#. I thanked him very nicely, and came home.
This box is so heavy, I couldn't even pick it up. I had to have Mike bring it in. He said he thought it weighed close to 50#! And the price was only .30 cents per pound. So I paid for 20# ($6) and got 50#! It seems as though it may be a bit freezer burnt, but I don't mind. I have it on the table thawing a bit so I can get the meat apart. There are some huge pieces of meat in it!
Just wanted to pass this along to you all. I also got them each an oxtail to munch on this evening. They cut each one in 1/2 for me, so they will have one for later in the week as well. It was a little more than I wanted to pay, $2 something a pound.
All in all, not too bad for my first order. I plan to call each week and get a week's worth of meat. Not much freezer space :( I'll have to check Craigslist and find a cheap one I think.

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
If you were closer, I'd give you my freezer. Buster has stopped eating raw all together. Not sure why. Lily got too fat, so now she's on portion control, low fat kibble. And my new foster, well, aint getting meat! LOL

If you come east anytime soon, let me know......you can have the freezer PLUS all the meat in it!

kathysboxer

Boxer Insane
If you were closer, I'd give you my freezer. Buster has stopped eating raw all together. Not sure why. Lily got too fat, so now she's on portion control, low fat kibble. And my new foster, well, aint getting meat! LOL

If you come east anytime soon, let me know......you can have the freezer PLUS all the meat in it!

I wish I was closer! And not just for the freezer LOL. I would love to be near all my buddies down where you are.
I spent all day cutting up the meat. Some of it was still frozen. By the time I got done (only 1 big, huge hunk had bone) I had a good 30# of good beef for them. I did take all the fat off of it. I didn't want them to get sick on it.
I have a big bone that looks like a spine. I'm going to let them eat the meat off of it before I throw it away. All that for $6!

Status
Not open for further replies.