1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My heart is super broken in new york

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by lizzyandcaco, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lizzyandcaco

lizzyandcaco Boxer Pal

Hi I hope i read the rules right. i have a 5 month old akc registered brindle that i love and adore. but i have to rehome her beacause i have two puppies and she is not getting the attention she needs. This is how the story began my kids wanted puppies and i went ahead and brought two a boy and a girl i got two but never knew boxer needed so much attention . i could take care of one but not two puppies at the same time. they require a lot of excersise and time . and everything has to be seperate . i dont have the time for both i try but i know she will be better in a home where she is given all the attetion she requires. i dont want her to be crated for long periods of time that is the reason im rehoming her if you feel that you the new family is going to crate her for more than 5 hours in the day then just leave her with me crating to sleep is ok but not the whole day. she is crate trained and potty trained. i would like the new family to be very responsible she is up to date with all vaccines and very good with kids i have three kids. she is also good with other dogs all she wants to do is play.

2. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Find a reputable Boxer rescue in your area. They will have no problems finding a home for a 5month old pup. Reputable Boxer rescues screen their adopters extremely well, they will make sure she is fixed & vaccinated before adoption (so she wont end up being used for breeding), and they will do home check & ensure she goes to a really nice family. They will also provide a lot of advice & support after the adoption so that the new family doesn't get overwhelmed. And if for any reason the new owner cannot keep her they will be contractually obligated to return the dog to the rescue (so you know she will always be in good hands). It really is the absolute best way to rehome your dog. Whatever you do don't give her "free to good home". I cannot tell you how many dogs I have seen end up in bad situations after owners have given them up. Many people think they have found a "good home" for their dogs only to find out later that the dog was dumped at a shelter, left on the street, or worse. If your local rescue is "full" let them know that you are willing to keep the dog in your home until they can find her a home (with a 5month old pup it shouldn't take too long). good luck

Start with Adopt a Boxer...they are a great organization & they cover NY Adopt A Boxer Rescue

3. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

I'm sure we'll be able to help. I just sent a heads up email out to our volunteers, so they'll be prepared if you contact us.

4. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

This is sad, both for your family and for the pup. But good for you for realizing what you can and cannot handle. Just curious, did you have a contract with your breeder? I know my contract states that if for any reason I am unable to keep my dog I have to give it back. If you don't, then please, please, please go thru a reputable rescue. I am sure they'll find a good home for your little one. Good luck.

5. lizzyandcaco

lizzyandcaco Boxer Pal

I would not

I could give her back to the breeder but the breeder has like 13 boxer im sure my baby wont get the attention she deserves. Im been trying to do the best for her im spending alot of more time with both but seperate. I stopped doing some overtime at work but in the same token remember boxers are high maitanance so i could use the extra money. Now my puppies get (1)30 minute walk (1) 15 minute training lesson (1) 15 minute playtime note this are all seperate. Then i play with them for like 15 mitutes together and i also let them play with each other thru out the day and after they go potty outside i bring them upstairs with the family one at a time . Do you think i have to give her away with this schedule . what else could i do. When is the age that i could just do everything toghether with both. At that time they will both get more time toghether with us . Im afraid of littermate symdrome

6. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

You don't have to do everything separate. It's just about finding a normal balance. You wouldn't always do everything with your kids together. Most families one parent takes one child and the other parent takes another type of thing to give them one on one time with you and to be able to enjoy them individually...same thing goes with your dogs. And important things like training need to be done separately because it's next to impossible to do it together.

Yes they should have one on one family time, but that could be you taking one and your spouse or an older child taking another interacting with them, but then you can do things with them together too. It's simply about separating them for certain things and certain times of the day so that they learn to bond with you and members of your family and not simply with each other. They need to develope their own identities, personalities, likes, dislikes, etc...but that doesn't mean that they have to spend the entire day apart. It's just about finding a happy medium.

7. MikaMay

MikaMay Boxer Booster

I agree with the previous poster.....
    Does your breeder have this in their contract though? If so, you are contractually obligated to return the pup to them. And....if you trusted them enough to purchase from them, then why not trust them with her if you take her back? Chances are, the they will work to re-home her to a more suitable home anyways, I would think. I have this clause in my contracts and expect the buyers to adhere to the contracts.
    I also sort of think it's unfair to think they could not give her the attention she needs. They certainly should have the skills and experience to care for her (assuming they are ethical breeders).
    I have several dogs and I see to it they all get their fair share of attention. None of my dogs get jealous of another and all get along. I do respect your concern, but I sort of feel like your fear of *litter syndrome* is maybe taking over some common sense. I have raised puppies together and they have done just fine.....my dogs are well behaved and *normal*.........maybe you are just feeling overwhelmed with the holidays, 2 dogs, etc.? I don't mean to be rude, so please don't think I am....I just sort of feel that maybe you need to relax a bit and sort things out.
    As the previous poster said....it's more about finding a happy medium. You should be enjoying your time with the pups....if you're stressed, they pick up on that. Puppies are puppies and are usually quite resillient. My dogs all live together as a group and even my vet has told me it is a pleasure to see such happy dogs.....it can be done.

8. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

I agree with this post except I will go out on a limb and say this probably WASN'T a reputable breeder. Its pretty rare that a reputable breeder would adopt out littermates together. Usually a reputable breeder would have a waiting list of people wanting their dogs. It would be rare that they would have an "extra" one to give two to one family. Not to mention that most reputable breeders would agree that its really not recommended to raise two pups together (even though technically it can be done).

As someone that has raised littermates I will say the most important thing is socializing them with other dogs (besides each other) and socializing them with many people other than their own family. Hopefully this family is having many guests in & out so that the dogs are meeting lots of new people. Additionally if you want them to be dog friendly they need to be playing with other dogs (not just each other). What I found most difficult about raising littermates is having time to properly socialize them with all sorts of people & dogs. Its hard enough with just one dog! The puppy socialization period is extremely important part of developing into a well balanced adult. It sounds to me like these dogs are spending a lot of time in crates & the basement. Also from reading the OP's other posts it doesn't really sound like his wife is 100% happy with the dogs. Without both adults cooperation its pretty difficult to raise two pups.

9. lizzyandcaco

lizzyandcaco Boxer Pal

my puppies are not littermates they come from seperate breeder. I thought when i got them that littermate symdrome only happens when they are littermate . Thats why i got them from seperate litter. And she is responsible . But im hanging in their for them i will keep my babies. But honestly could you have 13 dogs and walk all of them and spend the time they each require.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.