My First boxer (definitely long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harleybxgirl

Boxer Buddy
Okay here's my story/novel: Now Jim and I are around 50 so there is just the two of us at home. Last winter I decided to become a foster for our local humane society. I took in this shy 5mth old chow mix girl who quickly came out of her shell. She was way too energetic and constantly under foot. I knew she needed intensive training and stressed this to her adoptive parents. Anyways after that experience which wasn't too good I told the humane society that I would prefer an older, calmer dog. I got the call that there was a boxer at the county shelter that tested positive for heartworm so he was to be euthanized. Fortunately the vet and associates at this HS could not bring themselves to do this, so they called our rescue league to see if we would take him and treat him. I was told he was about 3 yrs old and very laid back so I agreed to take him in. This was my first encounter with a Boxer. They were calling him Simon but I didn't think it fit so I tried every name I could think of to see if he would respond. He was/is such a well behaved dog that I was saddened to think that some family lost this dog. Someone must of cared about him because he knows all his commands and even stays within the perimeter of our yard. We do have a fenced backyard but he goes out w/ me when I do my gardening and hardly leaves my side. I renamed him Rocky.
After he had his first treatment (one shot) for Heartworm I had to bring him back 3 weeks later for his final two shots. When the vet listened to his heart he detected a slight arythmia and did an EKG. Seems he also had an accelerated heart rate of about 200 bpm on top of the arythmia!!! Scary stuff. Needless to say he did not get the other shots and the vet was baffled. He said his heart was fine 2 weeks before the first treatment when he neutered him which also required an ekg. He thought maybe the dying heartworms were causing this irregularity but this was a first for him.
I knew this was going to be a long term foster (already into it 3 weeks) and I had already fallen in love with this dog and couldn't bear the thought of losing him. I told my rescue group leader that I wanted to keep him no matter what. She told me that Rocky (aka Simon) had raised $500 for his treatment so whatever I needed I should not hesitate to ask for.
The vet put him on Sotalol to slow down his heart and put him on Iverhart plus in hopes of killing the remaining heartworms. This all began back in April of this year and his last checkup was in Sept. It seems the arythmia has gone and he tested negative for heartworms after only one shot!!! He does still have the accelerated rate and will remain on Sotalol, but at least he is out of danger. The vet and I were so overjoyed that we almost cried ( I did once I got out in my truck) We called it a miracle for a very deserving dog. I am just thankful to have Rocky in my life - he is a joy and a comedian.

My Samson

Super Boxer
Wow! What a wonderful story. I do seriously believe the saying that 'some things were just meant to be' - and I would have to say that this applies to you and Rocky!!

Harleybxgirl

Boxer Buddy
Like my story wasn't long enough, but I forgot to add that I also had a 14 yr old Cairn Terrier, Pepper, who I raised from a pup. He was losing his hearing and was blind in one eye which is why I needed an older calmer foster. Well around June when I decided to officially adopt Rocky it was as if Pepper knew I would be okay without him and he stopped eating. His organs were shutting down, so we said goodbye and buried him next to Charlie the cat, who was his best friend.
So yeah things happen for a reason and Rocky was meant to be in my life to fill that void.

SILLY6PAK

Boxer Insane
I am off to bed and that was the perfect heart warming story to end my day. Thank you for sharing. So wonderful you found eac other. A true blessing from God.
Are you still going to foster? I know one reason I could never foster is I couldn't say good-bye.
I hope you are both very very happy.

Harleybxgirl

Boxer Buddy
I do still foster and I love it! I have only had one female boxer foster so far and she went to a great home! I am going to the local shelter next week as they have a couple of Boxers there that need to be pulled before it's too late. I have fostered puppies, mixed breeds, what have you but Rocky does prefer to play with his own kind. I know eventually I will fall in love w/ another Boxer and won't give it up but for now I know I am helping in the only way I know how.

crowpete

Boxer Insane
What a great story! Rocky is so luck to have found you. But most of all thank you for fostering. There are so many babies in need of more people like you!

vitalsignusa

Boxer Booster
My first boxer (definately long)

The very fact that you got the call says that it was fate that Rocky be in your life and you in his. I know that you will enjoy your boxer to no end! I'm so happy for you both.

Status
Not open for further replies.