1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Bulldog, Macy

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by elgerdes, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elgerdes

elgerdes Completely Boxer Crazy

Some people have asked about my bulldog, Macy.

Well, she has so many issues it's hard to start.

She is stubborn. Pretty much the same as a boxer, more in some respects, and less in others. Makes it difficult to train but also to help her with things like nails or eye drops.

Macy has an AWESOME temperament. That is partially good breeding, but I also firmly believe it's how we raised her. She is the queen of the house, but also we used firm training. Positive, but firm. We used the bell for potty training, so even if she went to the door to potty, we took her paw and rang it FOR her. (My idea of firm I guess)

She doesn't bother cats, and is good around other dogs. She is the boss, and lets others know it, but she isn't aggressive. She LOVES kids and could lay around to get petted all day by them. Around Zoe, she is almost TOO laid back. She tolerates everything Zoe dishes out: boxes, ear bites, jowle bites, climbing, growling, EVERYTHING.

Basically, she is the biggest sweetheart. She would never intentionally hurt someone. The only time she was ever odd was when she grabbed by dad's arm in her mouth. He was messing around (obv not to her knowledge) on a rolling footstool in our driveway. He decided to take it down the driveway and Macy grabbed his arm to prevent him from going in the street, as a car was coming. That may not have been the reason, but we like to think so.

She was attacked by a toy-aggressive dog last spring that required cauterizartion to her neck. It was a BAD wound. (We were fostering a dog, and the dog turned on Macy and drug her around our living room) Macy did not fight back :( But she is ok now.

Overall, she is AMAZING! Nasty farts, afraid of t-storms, afraid of laundry baskets but she is queen :)

Thanks for listening. And I hope this answered some questions about my bully. If not, I got to brag a little :) :)

2. SnowDove

SnowDove Super Boxer

Thank you so much for your response!

When I was picking a pup this time around (last time rottweiler won over boxer), I was torn between a boxer and an english bully. The bully lost out for the overwhelming health concerns... (as if boxers are the epitome of health :( but, still...)

At any rate, I still feel that a bully is in my future - SOMEday! I do think that I would have to go the route of a good breeder instead of rescue, though, to ensure temperament. I don't know, though - maybe an older rescue whose temperament is already clearly evident... it's possible. :)

So - all in all - if you had the opportunity to own another bully in the future, would you do it?

Linking to what is potentially the world's cutest video of a bully:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt7rXE9vhNY&feature=player_embedded

:)lovicon:)

3. elgerdes

That video is adorable!

All in all, my mom would KILL me for saying this, but no, I wouldn't have another bulldog. Macy is technically my mom's, and I'm sure after she passes my mom will get another. But for me, I feel like she has so many health issues we can never keep up.

She makes me so happy, and we joke that Macy is my sister. We have a sisterly bond so to say :) But knowing I love the bulldog breed because of her makes it hard. If Macy wasn't the way she was, I wouldn't want a bulldog. She will forever have eye issues, is overweight (our fault!!!), MAJOR attitude!, and she is not even 5! I don't mean to deter you from the bulldog breed at all. They are amazing animals with awesome personality, but if I were to get another, I wouldn't be able to look past all the issues with it not being my Macy.

I know everyone says that, and maybe I will change my mind later down the road. Actually, I probably will, because that is what I said about our bullmastiff and now I would get one.

I will always have a place in my heart for the misunderstood breeds (bully breeds in particular).

I'm glad to see you also have a soft spot for those breeds (rottys, bullys, boxers, pibles, etc)

Misfits unite!

Haha, I'm a goof like my dogs!!

4. elgerdes

Not the best photo of her, as it was a picture taken on film, then scanned in. But it's my (other) baby.

[​IMG]

5. SnowDove

SnowDove Super Boxer

She's so lovely! I want to hug her little sausage body!!! hahaha

Yes, I knew they were stubborn but I guess I didn't realize how much until recently doing some research on them! Sometimes Daisy's stubborness drives me NUTS, so maybe I would need to develop some patience before delving into the english bully realm! I just can't get over their appearance, for one - I think they are the cutest dogs in existence! Also, I love their attachment to their people; my neighbor has one (Julia), and she will follow a human ANYwhere! I could (and do!) love on her endlessly!

I *definitely* have a soft spot for the misunderstood breeds! I have been very much a "cat person" my whole life, and I never cared much for dogs that would unquestioningly follow their masters' commands... so that's probably why I prefer the more "stubborn" breeds; you know they're really thinking about it, and when you EARN their cooperation then you've really achieved something! Hahahaha

6. sriley

sriley Completely Boxer Crazy

I guess Gus won! Thanks for posting. Very comical and incredibly cute. lovicon

Elgerdes, Macy is a beauty! I have always had a fondness for the bully breeds. I think they are incredibly misunderstood. Personally, I just can't resist them!

I've recently been captivated by the Dogue de Bordeaux breed (or French mastiff if you prefer). I believe their life expectancy is similar to a Boxer. How can you not love a face like that?! They are supposed to be very mellow, laid back dogs ... nothing like a Boxer! While I would love to spoil a Dogue de Bordeaux someday, I reckon I will always be owned by a Boxer. ;)

7. elgerdes

We once had a "regular" bullmastiff, for lack of a better term. We rescued her and her former life was brutal. She was apprehensive of men (we changed that), skinny and overall had a bad life. We adopted her and she spent her life napping on comfy blankets and watching over us as kids.

Macy is also SuPER laid back. Most of the day, she sleeps. She loves to play with her "babies." Her favorite toys are the stuffed hedgehogs (we have now ventured to other animals though) and she just sucks on them almost. I will try to get a video and post it in show off your dog. It's funny, but kind of gross too.

I think it just comes down to lifestyle. A bulldog is very easy going. A boxer is high strung. A bully works for my parents because they aren't to active. A boxer works for me because I NEED to be active.

I'm not sure what dogs I will own down the road, but it will for sure be some kind of misunderstood breed :)

The only thing I caution about english bulldogs is that a well-bred pup can easily cost $3000US and upwards. Not cheap wackicon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.