1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My boxer-lab mix puppy may really be a boxer-pit mix! I could use some advice.

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by boxerxlover, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxerxlover

boxerxlover Boxer Pal

Okay, I know that I am listening to the hysteria in the media and such, but... We were told that he was boxer lab and I never questioned it. He is now 10 weeks and he is really starting to show what I consider to be pit features. I know his mom is full boxer, but dad at this point is a huge question mark. I have done some research and everything says that pit mixes should only be owned by dog experienced owners and in households with children over the age of 7. My only dog experience is with labs and our children are 1 and 3. I am really torn and want to keep my children's safety in mind. Now, he is an amazing puppy and we adore him. I can't see us getting rid of him or anything, but I am scared to death to own a pit bull. When his ears are down he looks like a boxer-lab, but lately his ears have been kind of perking up on top of his head with the tops flopping down. When he does this he looks like a pit bull. We saw a 10 week old pit bull a couple of days ago and he looked just like Tater. My only stipulation with getting a puppy was no pit bulls. It is not only the rep that scares me, but I don't like the image that tends to go along with pit bulls. Our neighborhood is full of them and there is definately a certain type of individual that goes along with it.

I could really use some advice concerning this breed. I know that this is a boxer forum, but I would assume someone has pits, right? I adore this puppy and want some postive stories/advice.

Thanks!

2. Net45582

Net45582 Banned

Some of the nicest dogs I've met were pit bulls. It's not the breed that needs changing but the mindset of many owners and the public. VERY few pit bulls are bred for aggression-it's how they are raised and trained,just like any other breed.

3. FletchersMom

FletchersMom Boxer Insane

First of I have to tell you as a boxer owner, Boxers are VERY often mistaken by people for Pitbulls. So if its a certain image you are concerned about chances are you will get it anway :) As far as Pitbulls being vicious, some are and some aren't just like any other breed. I am convinced it is in how they are trained and kept. If your pup is a pit mix it isn't the end of the world and it doesn't mean that he is a danger to your kids. I would suggest though with ANY puppy lots of training and obdeience classes with a professional trainer. It all comes down to responsible dog ownership regardless of breed.

4. catcrazy56

catcrazy56 Boxer Insane

There are quite a few pit bull owners on BW who have non agressive pitbulls I am sure one of them will post, its the way the dog is raised in my opinion. My Foreman looks alot (from afar) like the brindle pitbull in my neighbourhood unfortunately he has been trained agressively and people always freak when they see Foreman at the park (Thinking hes diesel the pit bull) it dosen't bother me anymore because I know Foreman is not agressive.

5. mybubbieroo

mybubbieroo Boxer Insane

Be calm, and continue treating your puppy as you have been. I am sure in a loving environment he will be a great family pet.

6. hugomom1

hugomom1 Super Boxer

Boxers and pits are often confused for each other. My co-worker has a Lab-Boxer mix that looks a lot like a pit. At 10 weeks it would be hard to really tell what your puppy's mix is. Give it another couple of weeks, he may look exactly like a Labrador. Although, Pits are wonderful dogs, if I could, I would adopt a Pit puppy in a heartbeat!

7. Kirby Kirb

Kirby Kirb Boxer Insane

This must be so hard! Like a previouse poster said @ 10 weeks it is hard to tell, what does your vet say? Personally from my experiences I would never own a pit, specially with children. I know people who had raised a pit from a puppy, and around there young infant, and at the age of two, this dog turned for no reason. There are so many stories out there, that do give pits a bad name, and its the media who makes us think that they are not good dogs. I am sure there are thousadns of owners out there who would say that there pit is the best dog in the word, and then there are some who will say that they are not. It just takes one mistake to change a dedicated pit bull lover's opinion. I wish you the best of luck with your baby, and I hope everything works out for you and your family. :)

8. dizzydogmom

dizzydogmom Boxer Booster

I does take a lot of dedication to raise a pit, but it takes just as much to raise a boxer or any other breed. The only thing I did different with Riley than with Piper was that Riley got a lot more socialization with other dogs as pits tend to have problems in that area. Dog agression is NOT the same as people aggression, though, and personally, Riley (who is 3/4 pit) is MUCH better with kids than Piper Ann. It depends much more on how you raise them than what breed they are. If your looking for some good, not anti-pitbull breed reseach, check out anything written by Diane Jessup, American Pit Bull Terriers: Fact or Fiction: The Truth Behind One of America's Most Popular Breeds by Dawn M. Capp, or the Pit Bulls for Dummies books to start with. Also, google "pit bull forum," and you'll come across a great forum. A lot of people who love pits started out the same way you are-they thought they had something else and when they found out they had a pit, kept the dog and fell absolutly in love with the breed.

Best of luck to both of you.

9. JetsMom

JetsMom Boxer Booster

I have owned several pits and pit mixes. They make wonderful pets. Just be sure to socialize him well. Give him a chance, you will be happy that you did

10. mtoo

mtoo Boxer Booster

We fostered a "boxer/lab mix", that's what our shelter told us anyway but she was actually a pit/lab mix (we have a pit ban in our city and the shelter will pass off pit mixes as other breeds if they can). Her picture is in my gallery, her name was Louise.

We had her for five months and our children were around 1.5, 3, and 5 years old at the time. She was wonderful with our children! She was extremely active but did so well with the kids. Her new family has a child and she does great with him too.

I don't want to argue with anyone here but I find it difficult to believe that a loving, sweet pet will suddenly turn on it's family without warning. Dog "language" is often so subtle that many people don't see the warning signs until it's too late.

Maybe you can be a family that helps change the reputation of the "pit" breeds from vicious and unpredictable back to devoted family pet as it once was :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.