1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My boxer is too anxious and nervous :( NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by Clemente, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

Well folks can argue about anything!

If it helps your "not" wasn't your time. I take your points to heart! Hence your comment about my "limited sample of dogs" point taken so now I work with rescue Boxers! :)

"Because I say so" it's not a technique it's an attitude. I "expect" a dog under my control to behave. For my dogs (who had zero issues) save as disclosed with my GSD. The "consequences" were "NO" instead of 'No" and a march right back to the scene of the infraction and we start again!

No 'tools" needed no harsh corrections they all seemed to feel that was consequence enough! For rescues the "consequences" are we stop moving forward till he gets back in line! I was told the first guys was a puller, be careful he pulls!

He did not put me, we had a very nice half hour walk? Save for the fact that when someone wanted to approach him, he became "comfortable" if you saw him you would have assumed he was a typical well adjusted Boxer!

Handed him off at the end of the day to his foster mom...and there he goes, dragging her off to the car! :(

Other dog was a stray in our front yard, we found his mom...he had bolted out the door, no collar. Don't think the dog knew what a leash was?? Nonetheless I fashioned a leash around her and we proceeded down the street to look for mom. Dog walked like she had done it all her life!

So that's two more for my "small sample of dogs" long way to go but it's a start. :)

And if we are dropping names...Don Sullivan can be found on you tube. He best shows my "attitude."
    Youtube only shows what he does not how he does it so I have no idea what "consequences" are for a dog with him?? But if anyone wants to see, his or any trainers DVD's are available at bowwowflix.com.

So folks can pick there trainer at will, it works like netflix.

The year is young so you never know what will roll through the door at a rescue??

2. JurisGal

JurisGal Boxer Pal

I used a gentle leader to train my Boxer for walks. We never did obedience school but we had an older dog in the house and the Boxer just sort of followed but he remains anxious and high energy.

Boxers need lots of exercise.

I am also a believer/user of oils. I use lavender essential oil to calm him down, especially around this time with fireworks.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.