1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My boxer is too anxious and nervous :( NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by Clemente, Jun 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clemente

Clemente Boxer Pal

Hello boxer world, i hope you can help me i have a female boxer named Pandora, she 9 months but since the 7 months until now, she dons´t obey me anymore, she knows the basics commands, but she only obey when i have treats in my hand, she pulls a lot on leash I'm using gentle leader is the best leash i can find, but she doesn't like it, she is nervous dog, on friday i took her to the vet, i was so embarrassed her behavior was not the behavior i was expecting, the vet even ask me if she behaved like that at home, and i said no..
    Is barking like crazy she nerve do that, when he leave her on crate to sleep, its fine for her, but when we leave her on crate and have to go somewhere, she just barks like crazy :(
    She is completely driving me crazy, i don't know what to do anymore :( me and my girlfriend love her but this is not the dog we educated :(

Please any help would be appreciated
    sorry for my poor english

Some images of her
    Pandora
    http://imageshack.com/a/img820/4683/gd0r.jpg
    http://imageshack.com/a/img853/5643/7e3m.jpg

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

She is turning into an adolescent. She is going to challenge you all the time. Have you taken her to training class? Even if you have taken her to puppy class an obedience class would be beneficial. I would practice NILIF ( nothing in life is free). Make her work for everything. Have her sit and stay before allowing her to eat. You may find this article interesting:
    Impulse Control Training and Games for Dogs | ASPCA

3. Clemente

Clemente Boxer Pal

Thanks for the reply Jan, i didn't take her to obedience classes, but I'm thinking of doing it, do you know any training dogs in Belgium? or where can i find one?
    another question is that is the sensation harness better then GL?

thanks

4. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

Most likely you over did the treats? Bribing instead of training, I tend to go with the "because I say so school," myself but no matter.

I'd start over and start here:
    Where's my sanity 'Sit on Dog" do a Goggle search

Pros have been doing this for a very long time! Some of them do it with all there dogs right out the gate. I never had a need for it with my dogs. But I did use it with a Boxer with fear issues at a Boxers and Buddies event with a Boxer that had fear of people issues.

In just the brief time I spent with him doing this I was amazed at the change in his behavior!

I would lose the GL, you did something wrong with it?? The combination of you this dog and that tool isn't working, Your doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result!

I prefer to think "not" what's wrong with this freaking dog but..."what am I doing wrong??"

Try this instead:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnwfZ7xv-E0

Sometimes simple is better! :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  5. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I am afraid that I'm not familiar with training classes in Belgium. Try looking on the internet or ask other dog owners for referrals.

There is nothing wrong with using the Gentle Leader. I assume that it is the head halter that you have. You could try the Gentle Leader Harness instead. The leash attaches in front of the chest and stops them from pulling. There is also nothing wrong with using treats. You just need to make sure that you are using them as a reward, not a bribe.

Good luck!

6. Clemente

Clemente Boxer Pal

Hello Jan thank you for your patience and tips really appreciated, is not just the pulling she jumps too much, thats why i use gentle leader, because with GL she don't pull or jump while we walking, if he use another type of leash she is a jumper like all boxers are, and sometimes she tries to jump on people, some like, but some don't, she is not aggressive, she just do that to play i think :S
    Should i join the online training from that guy in the video you showed me ?
    thanks

7. Clemente

Clemente Boxer Pal

Where's my sanity 'Sit on Dog" is an amazing article Jan THANK YOU :D
    Im doing it with her for sure :) ehehe

8. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

This Sit On My Dog "exercise" is, when best executed, simply relying on the principle of extinction to eliminate certain behaviors in a specific context. When poorly executed, (and the possibilities for that are boundless as they are with just about every exercise meant to "eliminate dominance" in a dog) it is an opportunity to create learned helplessness in the dog.

Gunther, if you did indeed use it with fearful dogs at social events where they were exposed to frightening stimuli then it is very likely you were flooding that dog and the resulting "good" behavior you saw may very well have been a dog that had shut down and was exhibiting learned helplessness.

I know you think that your dogs respond to you "because you say so", but all dog behavior is consequence driven--your dogs behave the way they do either to get the consequence that comes when they do what you ask or avoid the consequence that comes if they don't do what you ask, plain and simple. That is a scientific principle and you can't argue with it.

Even the most dedicated, old-school, traditional leash and collar, escape/avoidance trainers who NEVER use food in training know that the dogs don't do it "because they say so". In their case, the dogs do it (or don't do it) to avoid an unpleasant consequence. After being subjected to unpleasantness, avoiding unpleasantness can be very rewarding.

The Koehler Method of Dog Training is probably the oldest and most well-known structured program of traditional escape/avoidance training. From their own site: "An action which brings about the condition for some favourable memory will most likely increase the desire to repeat the action in the future. While at the same time, an action which brings about the condition for some unfavourable memory will most likely decrease the desire to repeat the action in the future." Even Koehler trainers recognize that it is the consequence of a behavior that drives future behavior. Control the consequences and you can drive the behavior in whatever direction you want.

I postulate that anyone that thinks their dogs do it "because you say so" are really doing it because they are looking forward to what will happen to/for them when they do what you say and/or have learned it's best to work to avoid what will happen to/for them if they don't. If dogs care at all about what their owners say it's because it means something (good or bad) for them. I can guarantee it's not just "because you said so".

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  9. Clemente

Clemente Boxer Pal

i was mistaken it was
    Gunther that showed the video sorry lol

10. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

Yes,yes I did.

Substitute a fearful Boxer for this yellow lab and this is what it looked like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2WgOZUebnY

Nothing more nothing less, sometimes simple works. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.