My 2 boxers died & I may get a grown boxer soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenaprincess

Boxer Insane
So sorry about your terrible loss. A feeling of emptiness would only be natural. I think you will make your decision when you lay eyes on Kaylee for the first time, and like Lenore said, you will probably end up taking her home and wonder what all the nervousness was about! And once she is home, that empty spot in your heart will soon be filled with Boxer joy! Best of Luck with your decision and please keep us posted. :)

Sharon:)

Chris W.

Super Boxer
Originally posted by Joan I.
However, when it comes right down to it, if I am willing to adopt a rescue boxer, a dog I probably wouldn't have had records of health tests on, a dog that might or might not have been shown or evaluated, why wouldn't I be willing to adopt Kaylee, with or without health testing?

I believe the answer to this question is, if the dog has not or does not pass these tests, then it will pass these bad traits down to offspring, not helping to improve the breed at all and it would not be moral to breed her not knowing the answer to these tests or knowing the answer is wrong.Also, I think if the pups go off to people who can't afford genetic issues a couple years down the road, this will create more dogs being returned and needing rescue.
I think they meant not to breed her without knowing these test results, not to not adopt her.

adeinert

Boxer Insane
Originally posted by Joan I.
However, when it comes right down to it, if I am willing to adopt a rescue boxer, a dog I probably wouldn't have had records of health tests on, a dog that might or might not have been shown or evaluated, why wouldn't I be willing to adopt Kaylee, with or without health testing? Her parents have been health tested back several generations.

For me it would be an ethical decision. I would not take a dog from breeders who were breeding irresponsibly. If she is health tested and they are responsible, great. If not, I just could not support them knowing what they do and would walk the other way. Rescue is full of boxers and supporting rescue only helps the boxer breed. Being involved in any way with unethical breeders only hurts our breed.

Good luck! There are many amazing boxers looking for homes. You'll find one to complete your family.

Ashlie
owned by the rescued boxertrio

SammynDqtz

Boxer Insane
Even though many of the boxers before her in her bloodline have had the tests and passed... doesn't mean Kaylee did or will.

Joan I.

Boxer Buddy
Hi everyone:
Just an update for you. Based on everyone's advice, I contacted the breeder, and she checked out really well. Kaylee has been fully health tested, and shown as well. She is not a champion yet, she has 4 points so far whatever that means. The breeder wants to show her again at the end of Feb. I guess the home she was in before was showing her, but when their marriage fell apart, they understandably quit the show circuit.
I also spoke to two other breeders in Alberta, who confirmed that this breeder is in good standing with the Alberta Kennel Club, and The Alberta Boxer Club, and that she has a good reputation.
The breeder also told me that she only ever breeds her bitches twice, and the puppies are raised and socialized in her home, and only go out to homes she carefully choses.
She said she would be covering all the expences pre and post partem. It's all going to be in a contract before we take Kaylee home. She encouraged me to call her anytime I had questions, and said she would take Kaylee back if something didn't work out.
So I think I trust her now. One of the other breeders I spoke with said that what this breeder is offering me, (we can take the dog if we let her breed her one more time,) is a fair arrangement as long as all the details of the breeding part are clear.
So I am now much more excited about meeting this girl! I am very glad I posted messages on this forum, and the breeder forum as well, because the generous feedback from everyone gave me the right questions to ask before we went on with this adoption. It has been a real education in ethical breeding and buying of boxers for me; I wish everyone knew all this before they bought a boxer. I certainly didn't when I bought my first two.
Thanks again everyone, and I'll keep you posted as to what happens when we meet Kaylee!

SammynDqtz

Boxer Insane
Sounds pretty good. Glad she is willing to help along the way.
I believe that dogs need 15 points for a Champion title. (someone correct me if I am wrong).
Good luck with everything. Keep us updated and if you need any more, tips, advice, or just want to talk... we're here for ya!;)

Debbie Magon

Boxer Pal
From a breeders perspective it is not ideal keeping enough bitches to have a good solid breeding programme.
Boxers need people.
They need family time and when a breeder keeps more than a couple it becomes unfair to the dogs.
A good breeder dosnt want their dogs living in kennels most of the time because they already have 2 or 3 oldies up at the house that they were loathe to part with.

I myself think someone such as yourself is the perfect home for a top quality bitch because,
A She gets to live her life with a family and have lots of one on one.
B: The breeder can have another litter from this bitch some time down the track to maintain those very precious genes required for good breeding.

I myself often allow my beloved boxers to give another family happiness.
Yes its sad to see them go , but many of my girls and boys have gone on a very special mission.
They have gone to help mend broken hearts.
Sarah,Zack, Blossom, Briar, Finn, Clover,and many of my puppies, are all out there on their special missions. lovicon

Last edited:

Joan I.

Boxer Buddy
Thank you so much Debbie for that last post. It made me feel so good! We absolutely have a wonderful home to give a dog, (big fenced yard, tons of dog beds, welcome on the couch and the bed, attention to good diet, exercise, not to mention a dog crazy mommy and daddy!)
And yes, you are so right about the beautiful healing these wonderful dogs can provide to the people they live with. Buster and Baylee were the centre of my life. When my former husband and I split, I had nothing left, but I moved into my parents home with them, because there was no way I was ever going to be parted with them. Many years later, they both died in my arms... How blessed I was to be loved by both of them so unconditionally.
And now, although I am still reeling from their loss, I know another boxer "angel" will help me dry my tears. And I hope to be everything to a boxer again.
I want to thank you as a breeder who cares about your dogs, and also cares about the people who you entrust them to. And also for the time and attention you take in breeding with ethics. I can tell from your post that you are a breeder with integrity.
Thanks again, and I'll keep everyone posted!
Joni

ljnash

Boxer Insane
Originally posted by Debbie Magon
I myself often allow my beloved boxers to give another family happiness.
Yes its sad to see them go , but many of my girls and boys have gone on a very special mission.
They have gone to help mend broken hearts.
Sarah,Zack, Blossom, Briar, Finn, Clover,and many of my puppies, are all out there on their special missions. lovicon

AWwwww! That's so sweet, Debbie! It brought tears to my eyes!

Joan, I'm so glad things are working out for you to get Kaylee!

Lenore

marciafinn

Boxer Insane
I am sorry to hear of the loss of Baylee and Buster. I think that this new adoptee might just be the cure for your wounded heart due to the loss of Baylee and Buster.

I have always ended up with another dog before I have to send one off to the Rainbow Bridge. I have found that having the other dog has helped in healing. I know many people who have not had that other dog and when I've asked them about their decision on getting another their replys are always the same...'I just knew it was time or my heart told me I was ready.'

It sounds like you have a wonderful home to provide. I wish you the best of luck no matter what your decision is.
Marcia & Mason

Status
Not open for further replies.