1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mrsa

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by harleyboxer, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harleyboxer

harleyboxer Super Boxer

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with MRSA...
    My 5 year old fawn doberman has had skin infections her whole life. Because she's a diluted color she has mutated hair follicles and gets infections in her hair follicles. She's been on antibiotics off and on her whole life, I try to keep her off of them until it gets bad enough that she must go back on them. I work for a vet and she's seen 2 dermatologists over the last 2 years. The first one cultured her skin and it came back as a regular staph infection. About 6 months ago her skin was at it's worst so I cultured her skin again and she had staph and pseudomonas. We put her on Zeniquin for about 7 weeks (she had cleared up for over a week when we stopped) She started to break out a little bit and she saw another dermatologist who said to just continue with what I was doing. Her infection stayed pretty mild and just seemed to be getting a little worse within the last week so I cultured her again and this time it came back as MRSA.
    I don't think she has any allergies, she's been on several different types of allergy diets because my Boxer has food allergies. She get's thyroid tested every year and has always been negative. I've seen several of her siblings who have decent skin so I think she just got the short end of the stick.
    I used to give her Derm Caps (fish oil and vitamin E) and just started to give them to her again. I've also started to give her 10,000 IU Vitamin A which the first dermatologist had suggested. She's getting bathed with Ketochlor shampoo. I've bleached her crate floor and everything that she sleeps on, and plan to bleach the crate every night and wash the bedding frequently.
    Anyone have any other ideas? I thought about getting her some sort of Immune boosting supplement. Unfortunately she's never going to stop getting these infections because of her hair follicle mutation.... :(

2. harleyboxer

harleyboxer Super Boxer

oh, forgot to add that she also has been on staph lysate injections since the pseudomonas episode. And now that I think about it, it has been less than 6 months since her last culture. My ex boyfriend also had a roommate with MRSA (we didn't know at the time) and I used to take my dogs over their house all the time....

3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

Was this a complete thyroid panel including TgAA levels and not just a "typical" thyroid test?
    My girls typical test is always normal. Her TgAA is the problem leading us to find out she has thyroiditis.

4. harleyboxer

harleyboxer Super Boxer

no, just the t4. The dermatologist at the lab didn't think that it would be worthwile to do a full panel at this time, that my money would be better spent on allergy testing (and I have limited money). He said that this is fairly common with fawn dobes because they spend so much time on antibiotics for there skin....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.