1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More natural (human) allergy approach?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kimmie3614, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimmie3614

kimmie3614 Boxer Buddy

Does anyone know of a more natural way to treat allergies? Newly "diagnosed" with cold like hell symptoms, my Dr. is so quick to prescribe Allegra D. Sounds great but I don't want to pop a pill for this the rest of my life and let's be honest, I can barely remember my birth control, much less an allergy pill. I was told from one "all natural" sufferer to always crack a window in the winter with the heat, gargle salt water and lemon juice and use a humidifier, which boils down to cracking a window. Anyone else have a suggestion?

2. Elyse

Elyse Banned

I have tried just about every pill and am sitting here with the runniest nose. I am now on plain over the counter Claritin D (the best so far this season). 1 bit of advice is to keep it dry in your home. Keep the AC cranking at night during the summer and late spring. It makes a huge difference in you breathing. Hopefully somone will have the miracle cure on this site and we will all be happy :). As far as Allegra, I took it for years but it stopped working this year. It also caused NO side affects.

Feel good.

3. M&Dsmommy

M&Dsmommy Boxer Buddy

Fellow sufferer here...allergic to pretty much everything that grows...LOL

I agree with Elyse - a/c all the time, I had to learn the hard way that i just cannot open the windows. It sucks big time, but if I open them my skin kid and I just suffer. I take Allegra D in the morning, regular allegra at night, nasonex 2x day and we jsut added another super duty nose spray...and today I have a sinus headache from you know where because tree pollen is high...so...it's about environment control. I was just at the allergist this week because it's getting worse. As I get older, mine get worse.

If you are allergic to dust mites - try a dust mite cover on your bed/pillows. If your beast sleeps with you, like mine does (the allergist LOVES thatLOL) make sure you bath often and I use a shedd'n tool at least once a week. Wash all of your bed stuff in HOT water. It's the only thing that kills them.

Other than that....I hate to say it, but we just have to suffer till it blows over. If you need any more info on stuff or want my experiences (My son and I are both on allergy stuff) feel free to e-mail me or anything,

Good luck!!!!!
    Tracie

4. kimmie3614

kimmie3614 Boxer Buddy

You guys are great. I do not suffer too severely, it's more of a situation where it drags me down, yet, I suffer through. I was diagnosed last year when I had a severe stye swell my eye shut. I ran into a woman I hadn't seen in years and she nervously asked, "are you and your husband ok?" haha. I was a battered mess. Since then I was ok and then I quit smoking 4 months ago and I have been battling colds, sore throat, etc...I know you immune system and respiratory system are "under construction" after quitting smoking so I wonder if it just antagonizes it. None the less, I will suffer through and just know there is someone else out there hacking and blurry eyed just like you ;)

5. Billysmum

Billysmum Boxer Insane

I've always suffered with hayfever quite badly in the spring/summer.

A couple of years ago I started eating a teaspoonful of honey every day from january onwards. (UK spring starting in March-ish)

Now this wasn't just honey from the supermarket - I went to a nearby village and bought honey from a local beekeeper.

Since I started doing this my hayfever has been minimal.

But it MUST be local honey.

6. M&Dsmommy

M&Dsmommy Boxer Buddy

Hmmm...that's weird. I wonder if it would work over here. I guess it'd have to be local to my area? SOrrym, I'm allergy drugged out...a bit slow on the uptake. LOL I may just try that. It gets pretty miserable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.