1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mopar was skunked!!!

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Shirley Jo, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shirley Jo

Shirley Jo Super Boxer

Moe went out to go potty about 3:30 am this morning and there was a skunk in his yard. You know he had to be the big bad dog and run after it because he doesn't like anything in HIS yard. He will even chase the buzzards away if they are outside his yard. Well the skunk sprayed him and he ran toward the house. Gary thought Moe had fell down the steps and went out to check on Moe and the skunk turned around and chased the dog and when it seen Gary it went after him. We have no idea how it got into the fence. I am not sure if they can climb a fence. It got Mopar right in his face so I put him right into the shower with vinegar. The hubby went to Safeway as soon as it opened and we did the peroxide/soda/dishwash bath. We ended up going to the vet at 9 am because it made Moe really sick and I was worried about his eyes. Moe started to act really funny he just laided down anywhere which is strange for king Mopar. He has to have somewhere soft. LOL. And he was shaking etc. So 200.00 later Moe smells alot better, they tested his eyes and they are fine and did bloodwork. The vet said skunk spay will ulcerate the corneas and can make them anemic(sp). He has to go back in the morning to recheck his blood. The problem now is my house is really, really, REALLY nasty smelling. I have tried everything in the world and I can't get the smell out of my house. Any ideas would be helpful.....

2. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

I have no idea if this will work or not, but it works for me when I paint the walls.

Slice up an onion, a really stinky white onion, and float the slices in a bowl or deep dish of water. This always removed the aweful smell of paint fumes......maybe it will work on the airborn scent of the skunk.

Try it and let us know if it worked.

3. boxmom

boxmom Boxer Insane

We have several skunkings with our boxers. Our last incident was with Blake angelicon and Lucy. Like yours, it was in the wee hours of the a.m. They got sprayed, and not realizing it, Hubby let them back in the house. They made it half way up the stairs before DH smelled them. Anyway, the house smelled terrible. Did I mention we were having a family party later that day for about 50 people? I had to run to the grocery store and buy a cart load of air fresheners, candles, febreze, ect. The clerk thought I was some sort of nut, and none of it really helped much anyway. We had the party, and yes, everybody did notice the skunk aroma (and most still remind about it when I see them). Poor dogs still smelled a little and didn't get as many kisses from the guests as usual. The smell in the house eventually went away, but it a good couple of weeks.

4. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Poor Mopar. You might try boiling some vinigar. It is usually pretty good at removing bad odours.

5. BoxerMom999

BoxerMom999 Boxer Insane

Poor baby! Hope he is fine now. It always happens in the wee hours of the morning!

6. tugger

tugger Super Boxer

Brit got nailed by skunks on two separate ocassions. Of course it was the middle of the night. The first time was the worst as the skunk sprayed the whole back of the house in the process of nailing Brit in the face.
    We were up all night trying to clean her up and clean the house. The spray
    actually stained the the aluminum siding!
    As for the smell in the house, time and lots of freshners are the only thing I found to work.
    My husband and I even took on the smell! I could smell the skunk smell on me especially in a closed car. This took a week or two to go away too.
    I now turn on the lights and scan the yard before turning Tug out in the middle of the night.
    Good luck.

7. johann

johann Boxer Insane

No ideas on getting rid of the smell, but I'm glad Mopar is ok.

They do sell cleaners that supposedly remove skunk smells. Our local pet stores sell them....no idea if they actually work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.