1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molly's story

Discussion in 'Stories' started by LainieM, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyandSonny

AndyandSonny Boxer Buddy

Lanie, I wanted to ask you, did the ShelterCare cover any of the cost of your vet bills?

2. ladyluck_t

ladyluck_t Boxer Insane

Perhaps you could call that responsible rescue you mentioned previously, tell them your situation and see what they can do. They may have some tips you can try or know of a respected trainer that would help for a reduced fee. It is worth a shot. I know with our rescue, I would move heaven and earth to help out a responsible owner in a bind. It is very rewarding to come across people like you when working in rescue.

3. Mya's_Mom

Mya's_Mom Banned

Is there anyone that you can leave Molly with while you are on vacation? Or can a family member/friend come stay at your house while you are gone? That might help her while you are gone.

4. AndyandSonny

AndyandSonny Boxer Buddy

Lainie,

I have been in touch with PETA regarding P.L. and her shelter.

Do you have any photographs of F.B.F.F. or Molly when you first got her and the state she was in?

Also, I have the email address of the woman at PETA I am dealing with and I am sure she would love your testimony about F.B.F.F. and the conditions, and Molly's state when you first got her.

If you don't want to get involved, I understand, but I just... could not sit by and let her torture dogs, including a LOT of boxers.

Thank you regardless.

5. LainieM

LainieM Boxer Pal

Good Morning All

Today we take Molly to the pet resort while we are on vacation. I feel like I am leaving my baby. I guess my major concern is that she is going to feel we are abandoning her.
    Yes Mya your suggestion is what we have always done with our dogs in the past and is what I would like to do BUT we have no one who is able to do it this time. Our other dogs could be let out twice a day and have free run of the house without a problem(except maybe the occasional cat chase!). Molly is just not ready for that nor would she go out side with anyone but me right now. so.....

Andy & Sonny's Mom(or Dad?) I have submitted all of my vet bills and appropriate paperwork to shelter care a couple weeks ago and have not heard anything yet hmmmmm. And I signed up for pet care insurance with them on my own but if they do not help me with this I will cancel as I am tired of being taken advantage of.

I am not familiar with PETA. But I know that as devoted as you have been to this, that they must be a good organization. I have no photos and honestly most of Mollys problems were internal (except for the dirt and grime!)
    But I would be glad to talk to or email these people and talk about this situation.

I will be back from vacation in about 8 days, I am not certain on this site how I can get my email address to you? Moderator?

And Lady Luck thanks for the suggestion about a trainer I am going to do that as soon as we get home I know that the people from the boxer rescue would guide me on this issue(my next big hurdle).

6. AndyandSonny

AndyandSonny Boxer Buddy

Hi Lainie!

I really hope the ShelterCare is legitimate. It's unfair to expect you to pay all that for a dog when the person that, by rights, should pay for Molly's treatment is PL.

I am sure Molly will be well cared for in the Pet Resort. Is it the one through PetSmart?

PETA is the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals organization. They're the militant animal rights people who go around freeing animals at labs. I contacted them as a last resort because I know they'll drum up a ton of publicity nationally and pressurize PL, Fayette County's Government, and the media to do something.

Please get in touch with me if you wish to talk, kelley_rhodes@hotmail.com I will send you my contact's email at PETA so you can tell her about Molly.

Best wishes and have a lovely time on your vacation!

7. marciafinn

marciafinn Boxer Insane

I am glad that Molly has found her way into your home. I am sure she'll come a long way with the TLC that your family is providing. It may take some time for her to open up but I am confident that she will. Take it slow and keep the love coming and I am sure she'll come out of her shell with your family. Good luck.

8. LainieM

LainieM Boxer Pal

Well We are back from vacation and Molly seemed to do OK at the pet resort! Dropping her off was a little iffy. My husband had to carry her in and put her into her kennel there(talk about guilt!). She was actually glad to see us when we came to pick her up. She jumped into the back seat of our car and gave my husband a big lick! This may not seem like much to some but with this girl both getting into the car on her own and licking my husband are milestones! I think she was just so happy that we came back for her( I guess no one has up til this point).

She is still so fearful of so many things. She has been with us for 2 months now and there definitely has been some progress. She is starting to play (a little). Not interactive play though, kinda just on her own.

I would appreciate any feed back from others who may have adopted a dog with similar issues so I can know what to expect.

Oh yes and kudos to ShelterCare. I came home to find check in my mailbox reimbursing me for a good portion of Molly's medical expenses :). This really helped out.

This all seems trivial in light of what has happened due to the hurricane. For those of you who were affected by all of this, my heart goes out to you. You are in our prayers.

9. Mya's_Mom

Mya's_Mom Banned

I'm glad to hear she did well in the kennel. She was probably so relieved when you came back for her. I bet that will help her in trusting you more. Hopefully she'll start opening up to you more and will live a happier life than she had before. You are wonderful for saving her!

10. jazzyboxer

jazzyboxer Completely Boxer Crazy

I'm so glad the time at the PetResort was not too hard on her. We still can't board Jazz because of all the time she was kenneled alone. She drops weight and hair like you can't believe, in just a few days under stress.

At the rate she's going (I'm sure it seems slow right now), Molly will be a completely different dog a year from now; I promise you! Just giving a dog like this lots of love and consistency seems to bring them around. When we got our second boxer, he also brought out some new things we hadn't seen with Jazz before, some new confidence and play behavior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.