1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Black Mask?

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by CouveMama, Dec 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CouveMama

CouveMama Boxer Pal

We have a nearly 5 mo old puppy (Boomer) whom we've had for 3 days now. The previous owners claimed he is pure bred boxer but the odd thing is he doesn't seem to have the black mask fawn boxers should have. Do you think he is mixed with something? Or maybe poorly bred? It was a little concerning to me that they had gotten Boomer from the breeders at 5 weeks old - so young! Which led me to think the breeders couldn't be too reputable to allow someone to take a puppy at that age.

Here are a couple pics of Boomer:

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa332/bespoke_designs/3b719340.jpg
    http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa332/bespoke_designs/b99febaf.jpg

Sorry the second one is slightly blurry - he doesn't sit still for long! Either way, we love him already. It just would be nice to know whether to answer "boxer" or "boxer mix" when asked what breed he is!

2. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

I believe the black mask is a fixed trait in boxers. A purebred fawn boxer should have a mask.

3. sargboxerluv

sargboxerluv Completely Boxer Crazy

He's probably a mix. The AKC standard says their can be white on the essentially black mask.

He's a cutie though. You can always get a DNA test and see what shows up.

Vizsla's have an all fawn coat.

4. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

He looks just like my girl Creek! :) I don't have any photos up of her in her younger days, but the photos I've seen of "baby Creek" look just like your guy. Here's Creek at age 6:
    Creek pose | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My fiance got Creek from a BYB when she was 7 weeks old, 4 years before I met him. She is a bit shorter and stockier than other boxers; it almost makes me wonder if she's mixed with English Bulldog. She was however the "runt" of the litter, much smaller than all of her littermates. Supposedly Creek came with AKC papers, but as we all know that can easily be forged, so who knows. I have not brought up the idea of her possibly being mixed to my Fiance (for fear that it might be a sensitive subject), so when anyone asks, I still say she's all boxer. ;)

I do agree with the others that the absence of a black mask is quite suspicious.

He is adorable regardless lovicon

5. CouveMama

CouveMama Boxer Pal

Creek is a beautiful girl! She does look a lot like Boomer, although with much more bulk. He's a pretty slim pup right now, but we know how big & strong boxers can get - which is why we started him on behavioral & obedience training from day 1!

It's not really a big deal to us if Boomer isn't purebred, we've always just wanted a good family dog, not one to show or breed. Plus, maybe being a mix might help with some of the health conditions boxers are prone to (crossing fingers!).

I suppose for now we can just say "boxer" when people ask to avoid lengthy explanations of what he may or may not be mixed with. Although if someone questions "boxer" I certainly won't be adamant that he's purebred.

Thanks for the comments!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.