1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metacam should i use it?

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by KimboSlice, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KimboSlice

KimboSlice Boxer Buddy

yesterday i got my 12 month male surgery for a lump that was removed on his left leg between his elbow and his lower part of the leg. The surgery went well, he came back with his ankle.paw a bit swollen. The vet prescribed Metacam and Cephelexin. I go to the vets in 3 days to get the incision checked to see if everything is fine. The mass is being tested in a lab to see what it was, those results i will get in 5 days. after research i dont feel safe giving him metacam. What should i do, i gave it once already, and heard it was really bad on the kidneys. Without this medicine, will he still heal and get better properly. He is still playing around like he used to.

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I used it fair bit with my previous boxer, Markus and never had a problem. He had spondylosis. I liked that it was so easy to give and that I could easily give less. As a rule I used a lot less than had been prescribed. Tara also got it when she was spayed. I believe it is a lot safer than Rimidyl. I don't think you have to worry as lot as it is only for a short time period. I would go ahead and give it to him.

I hope he is feeling better soon.

3. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Yeah I'd agree with the above. We used it, the only negative side effect I had was it made my girl REALLY sick to her stomach if I gave it either with or without food I don't remember now (sorry it's been a good 4 years). Since it's only for a few days I wouldn't worry too much. Every pain medication taxes either the kidneys or liver depending on the medication, as far as I am aware Metacam isn't nearly as tough as some are. Given it's just for a few days after surgery, I'd go ahead and give it.

Good luck!

4. harleyboxer

harleyboxer Super Boxer

A lot of vets give Metacam to rabbits, guinea pigs, and pocket pets. All of those little guys are pretty sensitive to drugs and they do well with it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.