1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merrick vs Wellness??

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by LovinRuby, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LovinRuby

LovinRuby Boxer Buddy

Well, it will be two weeks tomorrow since I started Ruby on Merrick. We're up to about 75% or so Merrick at this point. She seems to be doing ok and really likes it. I thought her coat looked pretty good before but I do think it's looking even better now. I noticed this morning that it was glistening in the sunshine. I have been wiping off less eye boogies too, so that's good.

Now how long should I keep her on the Grammy's Pot Pie before we try another flavor with her?

2. LilygirlCO

LilygirlCO Boxer Insane

We put Lily on the Wilderness Blend and she is about 75% on Merrick and LOVES it too! We too have been wondering about all the different flavors. We did purchase some of the can food in different flavors we thought that we could mix in once she is 100% on Merrick.

3. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

If it works for you and your dog, why not just rotate through the different flavours every time the bag runs out? Or every two bags, if that suits better. They have a fairly wide range of different meat proteins in the food, and the grains and vegetables vary as well. So that would give your dog a good variety :) If you feed the canned food as well, no need to stick with a single flavour for any length of time.

4. LilygirlCO

LilygirlCO Boxer Insane

Thanks for that info! I think we will be rotating every bag to different flavors because she loves it so much and I wouldn't want her to get bored with it, LOL! I just love all of the choices!

5. LilygirlCO

LilygirlCO Boxer Insane

Do do we still do the gradual changing of the food if we switch her flavors every bag?

6. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Totally depends on your dog ;) There are actually some dogs (and a reasonable percentage too) who tolerate cold-turkey food switches without any issue at all. And at the other extreme, there are those who get upset tummies at the slightest hint of change - those individuals usually need very slow food switches.

You just have to work out what's OK for your particular dog. The different formulas of Merrick aren't so similar that your dog won't notice. The meats/grains/vegetables vary quite a lot - as much as between some different food brands. That's why rotating between them counts as variety - if they were so similar that there was little change in the diet, then they'd be fairly useless from the provision of variety perspective ;)

I'd suggest that you start with doing gradual switches in the standard way, and if that all goes well, then see how your dog takes to less gradual changes. You never know (well, at least not until you try) - you might be in possession of one of those individuals who require no mixing of foods at all ;)

7. Zannie

Zannie Completely Boxer Crazy

i rotate merrick foods and do it cold turkey i have had no problems ,but they do seem to prefer the wilderness blend............good luck

ann

8. LovinRuby

LovinRuby Boxer Buddy

I went for my second bag of Grammy's Pot Pie yesterday (we just started w/a 5 lb one, just in case, and that's almost gone) and I bought a can of the Wingaling. Wow, Ruby went nuts over it! I opened the can and she started whining and prancing about the kitchen waiting for me to serve it up. (Even the cat smelled it and came running. So, I had the two of them both crying for a taste! Even I thought it smelled very appetizing.) I only added in a few ounces of the canned to the dry, but she LOVED it!!!!! I portioned out the rest of the can to give her today and tomorrow. Don't want to give her too much. Her tummy seemed fine with it and she was very happy, so thumbs up to the Wingaling. (And the cooked bones really were like mush. I was a bit freaked at first when a whole piece of bone came out of the can, but I picked it out and it crumbled between my fingers very easily. So, I guess it's ok.)

9. sweetboxer

sweetboxer Banned

I was freaked out by the bone in the Wingaling, too. I picked it out! I'm too much of a worry wart! It is perfectly safe, though, considering I could cut it with a spoon! Glad to hear Lily likes her food! Colby loves it, but I think Skye might be allergic to it :( So it's back to the drawing board for her!

10. LovinRuby

LovinRuby Boxer Buddy

Well, I think maybe the Wingaling is too rich for Ruby. Her poo was pretty soft today and she went like six times (so far). We have been experimenting with leaving her uncrated while we are at work (she has serious crate issues) and she did really well every day last week. Today was not good. She left three different piles on the carpet in the livingroom. My hubby thinks it's because of the Wingaling. We were only giving her a couple ounces at a time, but I guess we will have to stop. Poor Ruby will be so disappointed--she REALLY liked it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.