1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merrick vs Wellness??

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by LovinRuby, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LovinRuby

LovinRuby Boxer Buddy

Hello! I am planning on switching our Ruby (just turned 4 months) to an better quality kibble. I have been trying to research (reading other threads, looking at various manufacturer's websites) and think I have it narrowed down to Merrick or Wellness. (I can buy either of these at several different locations without much hassle.) I can't decide which one to go with. I realize that all dogs are different and some react differently to foods than others, but is one more recommended than the other for puppies? Is one richer than the other, in general? Also, as far as these two brands go, is it recommended to go with the adult or the puppy formula at this point? Should I start her on the puppy with the smaller kibbles (I am assuming the puppy is smaller) until she gets more adult teeth in? We generally add a small amount of boiled ground chicken or beef, brown rice, chopped veggies, and a dollop of yogurt to her kibble, so it's a bit more moist anyway (it was the only way to get her to really eat well), but I was just wondering if the adult size kibble would be hard for her to chew with such tiny little teeth.

Anyway, just looking for a general consensus here to help in my decision making process. Any input will be much appreciated! Thanx!

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Both are good kibbles :)

Of the two puppy formulas, I believe I would choose the Merrick over the Wellness (doesn't make Wellness bad at all - but the Merrick looks slightly better). I think the fat content of Wellness puppy is a little too high.

Both of them though, have protein levels of 28% - which is a bit higher than ideal (for preference, a protein level not exceeding 26% is better). It does look to come primarily from meat sources rather than grain, so it's not quite the concern that it might be - but that's still a bit too high. So if you choose to feed either of those, do keep an eye on your pup's growth rate and if it looks to be too fast, then a quick switch to an adult formula would be prudent. Or you could even consider mixing it with an adult formula to balance things out a little.

Of the adult formulas each make, I prefer the Wellness super5 Lamb, followed by Merricks Turducken, and Wilderness Blend. Not quite so keen on the other Merrick formulas or Wellness chicken. That's all being fairly picky though - they're both good foods :)

3. LovinRuby

LovinRuby Boxer Buddy

OK, so are you suggesting that I go with a puppy formula then? I know I have read it here somewhere, but at what point should the switch be made from puppy to adult? Six months? Nine? I know some people say puppy is never necessary, but by what age should she be on adult?

4. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Well, most people would switch to adult food by the 4-6 month mark. There's no need at all for a puppy food past then - the big growth spurts are well over by that stage, and it's just very gradual growth until about three years of age.

I don't think it will do any harm to have her on puppy food (I'd choose Merrick over Wellness) if you like, but you'd need to switch her to an adult formula within the next couple of months in that case. If it were me, I'd probably just put her straight onto an adult food, preferably one around the 24% protein mark (ie. the Wellness lamb or the Merrick turducken or wilderness blend) and simply feed a bit more than the adult recommendation for her weight initially.

5. El28

El28 Boxer Booster

My 2 enjoy Merrick also, so far they've tried Grammys Pot pie, Turducken and Cowboy cookout, they seem like they enjoy Grammys best. I bought some for my MIL, she is sold on can food (they are a little over weight in my opinion), so I got her the Merrick can variety pack, and she puts a little on top of the dry, I just stick to the dry and they are happy. My local feed store carries it and after 10 bag purchase I get 1 free, so a little bonus for my pocketbook too! LOL!

6. LovinRuby

LovinRuby Boxer Buddy

Thanks for the input... I'm still torn as to which one to get, but I appreciate knowing that they are both thought highly of. I was all set on Merrick and then I read more about Wellness and talked to someone who feeds that to her dogs so I was leaning toward Wellness.... sigh, now I'm wavering back towards Merrick again. I think the store had samples of Wellness, but I don't know about the Merrick. I could let Ruby help me out and let her taste test if they have both.

7. WV*Boxer

WV*Boxer Banned

We've had great luck with Merrick. Tessa is only on her first bag of Cowboy Cookout, but she cannot get enough of it. It's also great because if you add water, it makes it's own gravy. She goes crazy for that. Good luck deciding which to switch to!

8. sweetboxer

sweetboxer Banned

I just gave my two their first taste of Merrick and they loved it! Right now they're on Chicken Soup, but I wanted something to mix in with it for variety. Wellness was WAY too rich for them. So far, mixing in a little Merrick has gone over well. I put a little warm water in to make a gravy and they didn't leave anything in their bowls! I haven't even given them a whole bowlful yet! I think I've found my food to rotate with. I just need to make sure their bellies are handling it okay. So far, so good!

9. FancyGracie

FancyGracie Boxer Buddy

well.... I also went out today and bought the merrick for gracie and wellness for my kittys because of all the stuff i have read here and did research. i have been a really bad mommy and have her on iams....eeewww!!! merrick seems to me like the best choice for gracie. what i got was the soft puppy plate and the grammys pot pie dry. so she get the best of both adult and puppy food. i am so excited about it. the stuff i read about iams and the cheap food makes me so sick that i dont even want to feed my 2yr kittys that nasty stuff. but merrick doesnt make dry cat food so the wellness is 2nd best.
    good luck w/ your choice

10. Rocco's Mom

Rocco's Mom Super Boxer

The breeder had been feeding our 11 week old pup a Diamond brand which had 31% protein even she told us to get him off of it. After reading lots of posts here, I went out today and bought Merrick Pot Pie. I'm going to begin with the 25% in the morning, I'll let you know how it goes. I'm also hoping the better quality kibble will lessen his BM's he's like a poopin machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.