1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

May is skin cancer awareness month

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gatorblu, May 4, 2015.

1. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

We all love our boxers and we worry over every little bump and lump on them, yet often fail to do the same for ourselves. We fret over their lumps and wonder if they have a MCT, which is a form of canine skin cancer, yet we dismiss our own moles and freckles.

I am asking all of you to do a check of yourselves and loved ones this month. If you have anything you think is suspicious to go see your doctor or dermatologist. I did that last month. What I thought was suspicious turned out to be nothing, however something I didn't even notice turn out to be basal cell carcinoma. Two days after my biopsy came back I was under the knife and now have a lovely 3 inch scar on my back. This is the second time I have had something removed. My first one was on my nose and thankfully was much, much smaller. I also had three precancerous spots frozen off.

The good news with BCC is it is slow growing and rarely becomes life threatening. You would have to ignored it for 20 years for it to get to that. Once they remove the mass you are good to go and need no further treatment. If they don't get clean margins they need to go back in and remove more. That being said there are other skin cancers with the worse be melanoma. That one can be life threatening. I knew someone who lost a 2 inch x 4 inch chunk of her upper arm due to it. She was in her early twenties when she was diagnosed.

I am not posting this because I want sympathy, I am doing it so everyone can get checked. We want our pups to stay healthy, and I am sure they want us to stay healthy for them. Go out and play with them in the sun! Just wear your sunscreen and a hat.

cantfindlog likes this.
  2. Linda/NJ

Linda/NJ Boxer Insane

I have my yearly dermatologist appointment this month. I started going last year, had a concern, which was nothing. So now I go every year for a full body check. Just to be sure.....

Gatorblu likes this.