1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mast Cell Tumors

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by luvmybxrs, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvmybxrs

luvmybxrs Boxer Buddy

So Kato had a dental the other day and 2 small lumps removed, they were tiny and I make a point of taking everything ASAP as lumps freak me out. Well this time it really paid off. Both - Mast Cell Tumor grade 1 completely removed.

I know it's completely removed but he still just had cancerous lumps removed from his legs, his Dr said he probably doesn't need to do the benadryl etc. but I'm thinking I may. I know he won't need chemo or radiation but anybody any other advice for anything I can do to help - I know I can't stop it but anything, I'll even do a weird dance if it means my boys are around for as long as possible - Kato is almost 5 and Loki 6 1/2. I'm a vet tech but when it comes to my own, my knowledge goes out the window and I know this is a really good resource for ppl knowing the most up to date info on MCT's and their treatment.

Thanks fellow Boxer ppl.

2. packblt

packblt Completely Boxer Crazy

So glad that all is well now!

3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

My girl Cami spent over 4 years dealing with MCT's. I learned a lot along the way and had a wonderful oncologist who is one of if not the best clinician who deals with this type of cancer. She helped to create the first FDA approved drug to treat MCT's (palladia).
    This is how she felt about MCT patients....
    Tumors may come and go (removed surgically or killed off by various means) but whatever caused them to present in the first place is still going on in the body. A daily regiment of histamine blockers and histamine reducers, FOR LIFE, are the norm for her patients (those that can handle the medications). She also suggests (but doesn't push) fish oil, Vitamin C, a cancer starving diet, plenty of healthy exercise and as stress free as possible life.
    There is yet no way to stop this type of cancer but there is a way to severely lessen the effects of what is going on in the body that helps to create them.
    I did all of the above for my girl starting with her first MCT at age two all the way through 16+ tumors and till the end of her life at just shy of age 7 (heart issues not cancer took her from us). I believe with all of my heart had she not had to deal with the severe heart issues she would still be here fighting cancer and winning.
    Being that you are a vet tech one might assume you would have access to an oncologist (or at least know who is the go-to person in your area)?
    I'd give them a call and ask for a consult just to pick their brain. I also learned that to get all the answers you want you have to ask IF you could/should do something verses waiting for them to tell you what they might think. It is like "There are no stupid questions except those never asked."

At minimum Benadryl is the norm directly after surgery to remove a MCT. The histamine wreaks havoc on healthy tissue and the incision can be hard to heal without it. Of all of my girls surgeries, even with Benadryl the sutures and or staples were forever ripping from the skin. I shudder to think how much worse things would have been had she not been on it.

4. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

From being on this site for awhile I noticed a pattern awhile back that a large number of the mct dogs also had hypothyroidism. I would get your pup checked just to rule it out. Especially since a low thyroid level can lessen the body's ability to fight. It can weaken the body's immunity system.

5. luvmybxrs

luvmybxrs Boxer Buddy

Thanks Cami. Yes we have a great referral clinic in Springfield Virginia, they are wonderful. I was thinking about taking him there just for a consult as I'm with you - I know his lumps are completely removed right now, but he is to me, a cancer patient, and will be for life. I'm thankful the tumors were grade 1 with good margins, but I'm the pro active type person and want to do all I can to make sure I'm keeping him around as long as possible. He's only 4 - 5 in April. I have started the Benadryl and will continue this from now on. He had injectable during his surgery as once we shaved up the area before surgery, the mass definitely looked different, MCT's are known to be the "imitator" so as a precaution before he recvd path results, I put him on Benadryl. Now I'm glad I did.

I have both my boys on grain free kibble and they get good treats too. I'm a minimal vaccinator - Rabies only since after their puppy vaccines. I am about to get them back on Nupro for the anti oxidants and joint supplement but I will add in extra fish oil and look into the Vit C.

What do you feed? I feed Acana - I would do orijen but it doesn't work for my two. Too rich I think. Altho it's been a while since I tried it. Any other suggestions for "cancer starving" diet?

6. luvmybxrs

luvmybxrs Boxer Buddy

Gator Blu - he had a full blood work panel before surgery and he had completely normal Chemistry, CBC and Thyroid. :)

He's a handsome, lean, mean fightin machine. My fawn.

7. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I was feeding Cami Solid Gold Barking at the Moon. Grain and gluten free, low carb and high protein. Her treats were grain free as well and she could have as many fruits and veggies as she wanted (those she could tolerate and were in season).

8. Roxiesmommy

Roxiesmommy Boxer Pal

Helped my sister's dog and mine

My dog old Boxer had lots of tumors that were removed, some cancerous and some not. So I decided with my present Boxer to do things differently. I feed her organic food, fish oil (for her heart murmur), and flax oil. About 3 years ago she got a tumor. The doctor wanted $700 to remove it. Our dog hates going to the doctor so I decided to try another way to get rid of it. I used Astragalus for cystic acne and thought it might work on my dog. I did online research and found out that the Japanese give it to their dogs to prevent cancer. So I tried it and it worked! The tumor went away.
    My sister's dog had a huge tumor. I told her about Astragalus. Out of desperation she tried it. Her dog's tumor shrunk and disappeared. She stopped giving Astragulas to her dog and the tumor came back. So she decided to keep her dog on Astragalus.
    I by it at our local natural food store. About 25mg to every 25lbs. Astragalus won't hurt it just builds their immune system and helps them fight infection.

9. Independence

Independence Boxer Insane

We love Dr. Peterson at AVIM in Annapolis if VA doesn't work out for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.