Mast Cell like Griffin's

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristletips

Boxer Booster
I just got the call tonight from the vet's assistant that Lily one of Lily's tumors removed is a Mast Cell tumor medium grade she said. I guess that means stage 2.

5 were removed and it was only the 5th one that was bad. I'm still very upset to hear this news and am going to talk to the doctor tomorrow.

I noticed the lump about 2 1/2 weeks ago. He tried to aspirate it but couldnt. I had to wait a week for the surgery and in that week it grew. That's not a good sign that it grew so quickly.

Poor lily looks like frankendog right now. I told the vet i wish he had shaved her fur in heart shapes.

I have always fed her a raw diet too, thinking it would steer cancer off. Probably the raw meat has all kinds of growth hormones and stuff in it. Can't win.

Net45582

Banned
hey,if we knew for sure all the things that cause cancer then we'f be able to beat it. Your pup having a MCT is NOT your fault. If they got clean margins when removing it,you shouldn't have to worry. I've had many removed from my boxers over the years and they all lived many more happy years. Paws crossed your Lilly will too.

www.caninecancerawareness.org has lots of info

Last edited:

jenn77

Boxer Booster
Grade 2 MCT isn't a death sentence! (is that what your dog has? You said "middle grade" so I assumed). Grade 2 is local and hasn't spread to the lymph nodes. All you can (and should) do it monitor for more lumps.

The kind that Griffin has is Grade 3 and has spread. There are a lot of resources on the web to explain the Grades. They may put you at ease a little bit.

Cami

Boxer Insane
Grade 2 MCT isn't a death sentence!

Totally agree!!! There are various protocols, traditional and holistic that are available for cancer in dogs. Do a google search on "Budwig Protocol", Turmeric, mast cell tumors etc.....days worth of reading and information available.

Get an appt with an oncologist.
The fact that the tumor grew is usually due to the histamine released from the mass cells. The body reacts to the histamine by swelling. My girls MCT, grade one, removed with clean margins would swell up if I touched it, then settle back down by the next day.

As soon as my girl was diagnosed I started her on the budwig protocol, (fish oil and cottage cheese). I also started giving her Turmeric (spice). I found another lump on her 2 months later and made a paste from the turmeric and water. I applied it every night before bed. It was gone in 3 weeks. We do not know IF it was another mass cell but it could have been. Her vet was not aware of the Turmeric but he is now!!

cristletips

Boxer Booster
When the vet assistant called me she said middle grade so I guess it is grade 2. Not sure. I have been waiting for the doctor to call me back all day for more of an explanation. I recall her saying that it had to be removed with 3 cm around it but they only did 1cm. So I guess it just means wait and see if it grows back and then operate again..

I suppose I am a bit discouraged because I lost my cat to a tumor. It grew back within a month of the initial surgery much bigger.

Well i won't give up that is for sure and I sincerely thank you for the links. I looked up the Budwig protocol already. I eat flax seeds myself so I will give them to Lily now too!

Status
Not open for further replies.