Mange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilboxerbaby

Boxer Booster
I'm a bit ticked... when we went away for our wedding and honeymoon we kenneled the pups at our vet where we thought would be the best place for them being the staff knows them and if anything happened the vet could care for them. Anyway, when we got them home, I noticed bumps on both of their backs and sides. We thought it was maybe from stress for being away from us for 10 days, the bath/shampoo the vet used the last day they were there, or maybe that they got into ants. They were both itching more too, but they were both a little flaky so we thought it was from the shampoo and the dry air. Venus has gotten better, no bumps, and dry skin gone, but Rugby has all of a sudden gotten worse. He isn't itching too much, but today I noticed what I think may be mange on his front "elbows" and then just a few minutes ago, I was outside with them and noticed he's very flaky and losing his hair on the top of his back closer to his tail. Is this mange? I plan to take them both to the vet Monday. I'm just ticked that I started seeing bumps and itching from the both of them when we got them home from the vet... and now poor Rugby is getting worse.

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
Poor Rugby :( That doesn't sound like mange to me but then again I've never dealt with mange. It does sound a lot like the allergic reaction that Caney had a year or two ago when I bathed her with a cheapy shampoo that was supposedly "hypoallergenic." I'd call the vet and ask what type of shampoo they use on the dogs in the kennel, and let him know what's going on. Make an appointment if it doesn't clear up soon. Have you tried bathing him again to get whatever they used on him, off? I'd do that first, with a VERY gentle soap-free shampoo -- Earthbath Aloe and Oatmeal you can get at PetSmart and Petco, or even just a rinse in the tub followed by an oatmeal treatment with Aveeno 100% Colloidal Oatmeal bath packets (for humans, you can find it at most grocery or drug stores). The Oatmeal treatment always helps Caney when she's itchy.

Hope he feels better soon. Keep us updated.

lilboxerbaby

Boxer Booster
Thanks so much! I'll look for that stuff tomorrow and see if that helps at all... I just remembered too that they were fed different food, the vet insisted it'd be better for them to eat it as it would be good for their digestion while there and stressed out. I'm not even sure what it was called... we've been back since the 22nd of March though so I'm not quite sure why he's all of a sudden getting worse...

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
Thanks so much! I'll look for that stuff tomorrow and see if that helps at all... I just remembered too that they were fed different food, the vet insisted it'd be better for them to eat it as it would be good for their digestion while there and stressed out. I'm not even sure what it was called... we've been back since the 22nd of March though so I'm not quite sure why he's all of a sudden getting worse...

Hmm, very odd. Why would the vet suggest different food while they were there?? :confused: Doesn't make sense to me. Did they have any other treatments while they were there? Vaccinations, flea treatments/pills (vets sometimes give a capstar pill to boarding dogs when they arrive), heartworm treatments, etc.?

lilboxerbaby

Boxer Booster
They didn't mention anything about a flea treatment, we do them ourselves every so often. Mainly because we have a backyard that boarders 4 other neighbors who ALL have at least 1 dog. But he's never had any problems with the flea baths/drops we put on him. Nothing about a capstar pill though. The vet suggested that they feed them the food they have there because it's geared towards dogs in stress to help their digestive system. Neither dog was due for vaccines so I doubt they did that, I would have seen them on the bill. We gave them both a heartworm pill on the 1st of April, but we always give them the same med every 1st of the month, so I don't think that would be it??? Poor guy, we have some Earthbath gentle puppy soap that we washed him in today and made sure to rinse him really well. My husband is calling the vet in the am to see if they can see him tomorrow. Thanks so much for your help!

lilboxerbaby

Boxer Booster
Haven't been on in a bit, but wanted to update that it's just allergies... the vet tested him for mange and it's definitely not that then gave him some meds for the allergies... hopefully they'll work for him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.