1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

malignant or not?

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by ooh.eck, Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ooh.eck

ooh.eck Boxer Pal

i have recently been given a 5 yo boxer bitch.half way down her back leg she has rather a large lump(about the size of a childs fist)i took her straight to the vets who said that lumps like this are common on boxers and should be reported immediately.as i have only had the dog a week i couldn't do that.the vet also said that the chances of being a cyst were very slim and it seemed more likely to be a malignant growth(it does have a root on it)does anybody else know of these lumps?it doesn't hurt her in the slighest.she is booked in the vets in a week to have the lump removed and analyzed.i am quite worried as i am new to the world of boxers and didn't know they had problems like this.i am right to be worried or am i panickng over nothing?any help would be appreciated.

hayley 5yo red/white bitch
    shaymus 4yo brindle/white staffy

2. None-removed

None-removed Guest

Boxer bumps are pretty common, some times malignant, many times benign. The size of it bothers me, as does the fact that it does have tendrils. Given the size of the lump, I would definitely go along with the excision and a biopsy to determine if it is malignant or not. Either way, after the excision, it may present no more problems. It's hard, but try not to get too upset by it and wait for the biopsy results. If it is malignant there are still many, many effective treatment protocols with very good prognoses, and, if it is excised with a wide margin, excision may be the only treatment necessary.

Please let us know how things progress, we'll keep her in our thoughts.

:)

3. Debbie Magon

Debbie Magon Boxer Pal

It sounds very much like a large histiocytoma which boxers get quite freqently.
    They are normally NON cancerous and often go away by themselves. A large one would probably need sugery to remove it.

My own boxers have had them and they seem to go after a few months.

If it is a cancerous cyst, and the vet removes wide margins the prognosis is usually quite good.

We will keep our fingers crossed for you all and hope its a harmless Boxer bump.

4. ooh.eck

ooh.eck Boxer Pal

the day has come

well,i have just fetched hayley back from the verts and she is totally conked out.the operation to remove the lump went well.she has got a cut about 3inches long where the lump has been removed.she has got a satellite dish type thing round her neck to stop her eating her stitches(as soon as she came round fron the anaesethic she was licking them)she looks kinda strange but it's all for the best.the lump has gone to be analized and i will know in 10 days wether it is anything nasty.fingers crossed and i will keep you all posted

5. boxers4life2001

boxers4life2001 Boxer Insane

Glade to hear her surgery went good. Waiting for the results is the worst. I will keep my fingers crossed that it comes back with some good news. Let us know!

6. None-removed

None-removed Guest

So glad she's home, and I know you're relieved. We'll keep our fingers and paws crossed for good pathology reports.

:)

7. ooh.eck

ooh.eck Boxer Pal

will it ever end?

to say that i didn't pay for hayley she sure is costing me at the vets.i had to take her back today as the stitches had pulled through her skin.the vet took the middle stitches out and has left the wound open.he says it should heal fine but it looks quite yukky.he also gave me some dermasol cream to put on the outside of the cut as it has got a bit infected.i have got to try and keep her calm.obviously he has never owned a boxer before.my other dog went in for castration yesterday so bit hectic here for now.i also got the results of the lump biopsy.unfortunately it did turn out to be cancerous.a spindle cell tumour.the prognosis is not very good as the vet said it may well return in the next 6 months.if it does the only option then would be to amputate her leg.trying not to think that far ahead.

8. Debbie Magon

Debbie Magon Boxer Pal

Try not to worry too much, as boxers seem to get these lumps a lot.
    I have boxers here live with cancerous tumors for some years, so fingers crossed, she may well have a lot more time than even the vets could tell.
    Best of luck. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.