1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Male Boxer

Discussion in 'Canine genetics and heredity issues' started by johleneh, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johleneh

johleneh Boxer Pal

My young Male boxer which is almost a year and a half has not dropped his testicles yet. I asked a vet about it and he said he should of by now and if not then he is probably sterile. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem and what causes this? Pretty Boy is the only male I've had since birth and so I don't know much about males. My other male, Tex, I bought when he was 1 1/2 years old and had no problems with him. I also was wanting to find out if this could be hereditary because I have Pretty Boys mom, Madison, and I don't know if I should breed her any more or not if the gene is coming from her?

Thankyou
    Johlene Hawks

2. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

He definitely will not drop his testicles at such an older age. They usually drop for good by 4 months old. Usually even earlier than that. My boys either have them both down by 9 weeks old or they don't. You really should have him neutered. There are studies that show retained testicles can turn cancerous. Such a risk is 100% avoidable by having him neutered and the retained testicles removed.

As to having his mother spayed, I agree that would be the very best decision you could make :)

Sunny Northern California
    Boxer Champions and Loving Pets

3. johleneh

johleneh Boxer Pal

So is this a hereditary on the mothers side or fathers? I've never experienced a problem like this before. Can it be prevented or anything like that? That really sucks to because I kept Pretty Boy out of last years litter for a stud and he's beautiful. He has almost a perfect star on his chest, we had his ears cropped (which was a big learning experience) and everything. He's a fawn and white.

Johlene

4. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

I don't know there are studies that 100% say exactly which side it could from. I have personally never had a male that retained both testicles. But I know it happens. Regardless, he can't be bred and will need to be neutered to save him from potential life threatening complications later on.

He does not have to be bred to be beautiful. He will be a beautiful neutered male and turns heads everywhere he goes :)

5. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

The exact mode of inheritance is unknown but I have heard of a few "studies" (I don't recall if they were actual science or just large surveys) that show it is likely largely due to the dam's side.

I would say that unless the dam has everything else to offer the breed - generations of long-lived titled producers of merit behind her, is titled herself with titled (or title-able) offspring, has a flow rate below 1.7 m/sec, hips Excellent or in the highest percentile, normal thyroid yearly, "0" holters yearly, normal CERF yearly - it's best to spay her. There are plenty of good bitches out there who *don't* carry the gene for undescended testicles - it would take a stellar bitch to overcome the gene.

6. Rowdy Boys

Rowdy Boys Completely Boxer Crazy

I am very surprised that your vet did not notice this sooner. I don't know all the details of your male's medical history and vet visits, but I would be very concerned that no one has brought this to your attention before. As Julie and Christina have both suggested, the best thing for him is to neuter him ASAP. The retained testicles will get very warm from being up inside his body and as a result his chances of getting cancer are much, much higher.

Brenda

7. Vela

Vela Boxer Insane

I also think it would be a good idea to have them both fixed. Probably the other male as well since he's still intact unless he has passed all of the health testing necesary to have the best chance to produce quality pups with good health and has been evluated by either an unbiased judge or breeder as a breeding quality dog.

8. johleneh

johleneh Boxer Pal

Pretty Boy

I noticed this early on but not being experienced with this situation I didn't know but I will take care of it soon. Thank you all for your advise. I appreciate it.

Johlene

9. rog1006

rog1006 Completely Boxer Crazy

I would also consider getting a new vet. If your vet didn't bring up any of the things others on this thread have, I would have serious reservations about this vet's knowledge in general. I'd be on the phone with him asking why HE didn't tell me about higher probability of cancer, and why HE didn't highly suggest neutering!

Christine
    Boxer Luv Rescue

10. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

I agree with Christine. And with what you posted on your other thread about him having no problems with allowing your 8 year old bitch to have a litter, I would definitely switch vets immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.