Low blood platelettes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RentsOSketch

Boxer Booster
We took Sketch in for a checkup shortly after his one year birthday. The doctor did a full check-up. After a fecal exam, they said he still had hookworm, which is something we had thought we got rid of when he was a puppy. We later found out, and remembered, that the vet we first went to just took for granted that the medicine worked the first time and that he was cured. However, we find out he had hookworm for that whole year!!! Well, that is now totally taken care of and we had that verified with a follow-up checkup.
The other issue that came up was a low count on his blood platelettes. At first they thought that the hookworm had something to do about it, and they gave him vitamin supplements that we had to give him once a day. Well, he took that, and the fact that it smelled and tasted like beef to him, he was happy to oblige. WHen we did the folow-up though, they said his blood platelette count was even lower!!!! So, we paid a huge price to get him tested for tick disease, per the advice of the vet, since he had one tick on him as a puppy.
Well, just two days ago, we found out that the tick disease tests came out negative. The vet wanted to rule out cancer because of how active he is and how much energy he has all of the time. I guess that when a dog starts getting cancer, they lose their energy or something? Thereis like one day every few weeks that he won't eat all day, but he gets into the swing of things onthe next day without a hitch.
My main concern I guess is that I don't always trust the vets out here, especially since I see the quality of animal care in this state. I see that most dogs are either famished or fat. Sketch is a healthy, and fit 56 pounds, but a boxer breeder I know says that he is a bit small for his age. I dunno about that because I see alot of small boxers.
Anyway, the vet told us to keep him on antibiotics in case there is something he has that the tests never found, and that it won't hurt him to stay on antibiotics for the three weeks. THe low blood platelette thing has me a bit worried.

Any help???

RentsOSketch

Cami

Boxer Insane
I don't really have any advice for you except doing a search for causes of low blood platelets....
The antibiotic thing though bothers me. Did your vet mention something that would cause low blood platelets that would be healed by taking antibiotics? It just seems weird that they don't know what is causing the results yet they are prescribing antibiotics???
I would personally question this as I HATE to give antibiotics without good cause. At least if you are giving them I would suggest that you also offer a probiotic of some sort. Yogurt will suffice. Nautral, low sugar.

I hope that you get answers soon. Keep us posted.

Susi & Cami

BeckyNC

Boxer Insane
I agree. If the vet cannot diagnose a bacterial infection, antibiotics should probably not be given. They will eliminate the good bacteria in Sketch's system and possibly make his system resistent to antibiotics in the future.

Did the vet say anything about Sketch's white count (WBC) or red count (RBC)? Is his white count high? That could be a sign of leukemia or an infection. I will say though, if he's his normal Boxer self and this has been going on for a couple weeks, I might doubt it's leukemia. He might be lethargic and noticeably unenthused if he was really sick.

Can you take Sketch to a local vet school, if there is one?

heartsong12

Boxer Booster
You might want to ask your vet to check to see if it is prue red blood cell aplaysia (sp). My last dog had this. It is rare but and difficult to treat, but basicly what happens it that the dogs ammiun (sp) system attacks and kills new red blood cells. If you can rule out any cancer, I would have them check for this.

RentsOSketch

Boxer Booster
Well...

She rattled off like three or four things it could be, and you know vets, they just throw a bunch of terms at you. Anyway, she said that there are bacterias and diseases that they can't trace with a blood test, but that the antibiotics would kill.
I think I am going to call them back and see if they can give me any more info on the white and red blood cell count thing, and ask them why I have to give him antibiotics if they can't trace anything.
The way this vet is, it seems like they will come up with a new conclusion when we do our next follow-up so that they can sponge more money from us. I am not sure if this is the case, but it seems like it.
I will also look around to see if they have any vet schools around here, but like I said in my first post, I really don't trust animal health care in this state. As far as I know, these hicks could have their machines calibrated wrong.
THanks for the advice, and now I have a few avenues to take. It is just one more thing that has me worried just in time for my deployment...

RentsOSketch

crazychopper

Boxer Booster
first of all if your vet prescribed antibotics make sure you give the antibotics and all of them. Your vet may think it is autoimmune hemolytic anemia. this can be controlled with pred or some other drugs. hope evrything goes ok

BeckyNC

Boxer Insane
Despite what I posted above, your vet certainly knows what she's doing--moreso than I would when it comes to prescribing antibiotics. Perhaps Sketch's white count was elevated slightly and she felt he had an infection she cannot identify. I would hope she didn't give antibiotics needlessly. I guess what I'm saying is she may have good reasoning for this prescription, so my earlier comments might not have been too productive (don't want you to second guess the vet!).

Keep us posted.

Rileyboy

Completely Boxer Crazy
Hi RentOsketch: Not to worry you.. But this is what happened to Our Boy:

I typed a thread in the Health care Forum about Our Riley who has been hospitalized since Dec 27th from a Disease Called ITP Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia but there are two blood immune diseases the other one is called Immune mediated Hemolytic Anemia. these both attack the bodys own immune system I know that Our Riley has been having a very rough time with this and it is a very serious disease. I wish I could of got him the help he needed sooner. I also typed a thread about all many Vet trips and visits to emergency Vet trying to figure out what was going on when he was so sick.. it seemed like no one could help us.. and because it was during the holidays when most Vets offices were closed. Yes it can be rather Exspensive for all the test. but seeing the seriousness of what this disease can do in a realtive short time I can't put a value on trying to help our loyal friend. Plus when we finally got him to the internal Specilaist they had to run alot of the same test all over because their red blood cell and platelets numbers change and are so very important. We ended up applying for Care Credit which is like a credit card to help us with getting him the medical attention he needed which was a big help to cover his growing medical cost right after Christmas.. because its very exspensive to do all the tests rechecks the scans the and blood tranfusions and Iv and all the medicines to fight this

You can visit my post to learn more about this. Not to say your fur babie has the same thing at all I'm not a Vet .. But Learning the serious of blood cell count and platelets I just wanted to pass on what I've learned to eveyone one else who could have this happen to them.,. Hugs to you and your baby hope that everything turns out ok..

RentsOSketch

Boxer Booster
Follow-up

Well, we took Sketch in for his follow-up exam after he had a problem with low blood platelettes. We were all wondering why they had him on antibiotics when they couldn't decide what was wrong with him. Well, the antibiotics worked!!!! His platelettes are at perfectly normal levels now and he is healthy, happy, and just as funny as ever!!!!!!!! I am sooooooooooooo grateful for those that have kept Sketch in their thoughts.

RentsOSketch

Status
Not open for further replies.