Love Birds Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Mom

Super Boxer
I have never had a bird but have always wanted one. I now have the opportunity to acquire a pair of love birds.

One of the vets where I work told me that in vet school they used to refer to them as "hate" birds and that they bite alot. Of course, she now has me scared...

Do any of you own love birds? I am seriously thinking of getting them
but am afraid that I will be sorry. Their current owner claims to not have the time for them.

Thank you for any advice.

Marilyn

kmorales

Boxer Booster
First of all.. how is their temperment.. and were they handfed as babies?? The ones we had before had horrible temperments.. but because they were not trained as babies. Its kinda like getting a dog that has never been trained to not bite or has not had that much socialization to people.. yep.. like that.. My parents were always the ones who would buy the birds, so I didnt personally take care of them... not really much of a bird person.

dafzichu

Completely Boxer Crazy
I had love birds. Unfortunately, I got them from PetCo...big mistake. If you want them to be nice, you either need to find hand-raised birds or be willing to spend alot and I mean alot of time working with them. I never got mine to be nice and both had a bunch of health issues that cost me a few thousand dollars. They are gone now and I won't ever have birds again.

New Mom

Super Boxer
Thank you for your replies. I will get more information on these birds since I know absolutely nothing about them. They just might be the birds from hell. DH will want to kill me if I bring "problem children" home. Last night I told him I wanted to foster a pot-bellied pig until it finds a home and he just looked at me like I had two heads...

Marilyn

Antimony1019

Boxer Booster
Definately find out how they were brought up. I too got too anxious and picked up a Love bird from Petsmart, he very unfortunately died 3 days after I got the bird, what a nasty bugger though. Even though I had done a lot of reading and knew getting a hand raised bird was waaaaaaayyyyy better I still did something stupid.

After he passed away I took the time and found a breeder in the area, who hand raised his birds, holy cow what a difference!!!! Bailey was a great bird... I had Bailey for almost 5 years before she unfortunately passed away, I believe from a virus. She had been sneezing the day before, but otherwise healthy, but because they have such small bodies with such a rapid metabolism viruses can take over their bodies so quickly and I didn't really appreciate that until she passed away...

I will probably never have another bird though, they are loud, need loads of interaction to stay social and very messy but I do miss Bailey.

kmorales

Boxer Booster
I will probably never have another bird though, they are loud, need loads of interaction to stay social and very messy but I do miss Bailey.

Thats another thing.. they are extremely messy... they tend to throw theyre eaten food out of the cage.. and there will be feathers everywhere. they do sell kind of like a fitted sheet that goes under the cage and covers about half the cage to keep food from being thrown out. Also not best to keep in a small room if you have allergies because I believe they do get lots of dander on them that they flap around.

Status
Not open for further replies.