1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loss of appetite

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Roge, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Im worried about Spike (terrier ) who was 11 last August. He is loosing weight and is not eating the same portion size of food as he used to and im just wondering if his appetite is decreasing due to old age. Iv chopped and changed his food thinking that he might be tired of his usual but it has made no difference .
    He got all good in his recent health check so im a little puzzled as to why, however he is a food guarder and if he think Roge might get it he will finish it or stand over it.
    Any thoughts ??

2. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

Sorry to hear that Spike isn't feeling 100%.
    Just a few random thoughts...
    Health issues can happen seemingly overnight. A normal blood workup can go downhill in a matter of days. Diabetic issues for example might have a dog testing normally today and then next week the numbers are off the charts.
    A tooth issue might be sore at the vets office but there is no indication of pain and then it becomes infected and terribly painful in a day or so causing them to go off their food.
    Not saying these are the reasons for his unexplained weight loss and lack of appetite just examples of things that can slip past us easily and fairly quickly.

Did he have a senior blood workup done at the last vet visit? If he did has he had blood work done in the past that you can compare results to? What may be normal and within ranges as an 11 year old might still be different and "off" for him when he was a bit younger. Good to have numbers to compare to when they are young and healthy to an older more "mature" guy.

Sadly age plays a factor more often than we want to admit and it usually isn't good. How long has he been losing weight? Eating less? Hopefully it is something that can be determined and corrected!

3. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Thanks Susi..I have noticed the weight loss for about three weeks now and I also thought it may be a tooth issue so I tried a little experiment this evening.... I gave him his usual evening meal of which he left half, so I brought him into the kitchen just me and him ( just to rule out eating so Roge wont get it ) where I had some cooked ham chopped into dice size pieces which ment he had to chew and he ate every piece I gave him .I gave him what I thought was enough without overdoing it .Im thinking now that he has just gone off dog food or at least I am choosing to believe that.. Think I will start cooking for him and see how it goes...

4. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

How is Spike doing?

5. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Hi Pam.. TKS for asking.. Yep I am convinced he just does not like dog food any more.. he was never a fan of kibble so he mainly got wet food.. He is back eating again BUT ONLY if I mix in human food with the wet ,so I am now cooking a little extra and mixing it in with the wet food and he finishes the lot..

6. Gatorblu

Gatorblu Boxer Insane

Glad to hear Spike is doing better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.