1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Looking to adopt", tales from the search

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by Lava Linda, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lava Linda

Lava Linda Completely Boxer Crazy

Hi everyone. It's been a few weeks now since Gilroy passed, and I've decided to find a new buddy for Purdy. I've been browsing Craig's list, shelters, etc, not necessarily trying to find a boxer, maybe a mix(?), but a dog who needs a home...not a cute puppy with plenty of options left. It's a sad process, as you can imagine. Here's an example.
    This morning I called about an 8 month old male boxer for sale "from a loving family but we just can't keep two dogs any more." This is what I was told:
    The 8 month old pups are brother and sister, bought when small. The male is not neutered and "that's why we're getting rid of him, so he doesn't knock up his sister. We're keeping her for puppies later and we don't want to do the neuter operation. They're outdoor dogs, so they're not housebroken, but we have a really nice yard for them."
    I told him it's a crime to keep boxers like that, but he just laughed. I guess everyone's definition of a "loving home" is different.
    There are so many dogs I want to adopt...it just breaks my heart. I think I've found one though, in a shelter. He's been there almost a month and urgently needs a home...a boxer, samoyed mix. I'll meet him Monday or Tuesday, depending on their holiday hours.
    Please keep all those poor boxer souls in your thoughts. In a perfect world, they'd all be snuggled on the couch with loving owners.

2. Chancey'sDad

Chancey'sDad Boxer Buddy

Hearing and reading their stories just makes me want to adopt them all...I often say i like animals more than most people LOL

3. tyson&ali

tyson&ali Boxer Booster

We got Tyson form the SPCA, and I completely agree! I also think that it is important to remember however that Boxers are not the only dogs that get abused and neglected! It is important that we as boxer owners not only support the rescue and love of boxers but of ALL animals. appicon

Best of luck in your quest lava linda!

4. Lava Linda

You are so right! I should have said all those doggie souls, not just boxers!!! The poor dears...

5. Lava Linda

I found my special boy!!!

I have happy news! I finally managed to see that boxer/samoyed mix at a shelter an hour and a half away. He was bigger than I thought he'd be, an impressive figure standing on his hind legs against the kennel door, almost as tall as me, at 5'4". The other dogs were barking and howling, spinning and jumping, but he was just smiling at me with those blue eyes, and wagging his tail.

They brought him into the office on a leash, and I took a seat. He sat down against my legs with his back towards me, and tipped his head backwards to look at me upside down. He was happy and wiggly, but calm and relaxed at the same time. When I scratched him, he sighed and melted onto the floor, never taking his eyes off mine. It was love at first sight, I tell ya... With my heart in my throat, I introduced him to Purdy, who can be standoffish (to put it mildly), especially on a leash. She accepted him immediately! It was such a surprise!!!

I brought him home the same day. When we entered the house, my cat, Rover, was inside. He puffed up his billycoat, eyes like platters. The dog just looked at him calmly from inches away. Rover tested him by softly batting him in the muzzle three times, then three more times. The dog just smiled, and that was it.

He's been an absolute joy in the few days I've had him. No problems whatsoever. Purdy occasionally growls during greeting time, but nothing serious, and he gives her the affectionate respect she deserves. They're bonding more every day, and Purdy is acting years younger than before.

I took him to the dog park for a trial run, and he was wonderful there too! He'd circle around to my side every few moments, very attentive to where I was, and responsive to voice commands.

I'll try to post pictures soon. He's got the classic flashy fawn coloration of a boxer with full collar and blaze, the leggy build of a tall samoyed, a silky soft coat about an inch long that lays flat, a long muzzle, a white tipped tail he carries arched over his back, and GORGEOUS blue eyes rimmed with black. Everywhere I take him, people stop to admire him and ask what he is, or speculate on what they think he might be.

After much struggling, we named him "Theos".

Ironically...he was picked up as a stray on Christmas, the same day Gilroy passed away. His owner was contacted, but relinquished him because he'd moved into an apartment. For 3 weeks he sat in the pound, just waiting for me to find him! I'm so very happy, I wanted to share it with you all. : ) : ) : )

6. Rocky Hoya

Rocky Hoya Boxer Booster

So glad you found your new baby. It was meant to be!

7. BeckyNC

BeckyNC Boxer Insane

Congrats on your new boy! He sounds wonderful. I hope you will post some pictures. I can't exactly picture how he looks, but he sounds quite handsome. Keep us posted on how things continue to go!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  8. Lava Linda

Thanks! I'll do my best to post pics... I have a new digital camera but haven't used it yet. I'll have my kid show me how, he mastered it within minutes, of course. :)

9. Mama_Zookeeper

Mama_Zookeeper Boxer Insane

I am so happy for you & your family. Theos sounds like a real doll baby! I can't wait to see the pics!

Dora

10. Az Boxr Lovr

Az Boxr Lovr Boxer Insane

What a wonderful story. I am so happy for you. Please post pix soon...I would love to see what he looks like!
    Cheryl :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.