1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for Portland, OR area foster home

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by Renate, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renate

Renate Boxer Pal

We have an almost 2-yo male brindle boxer (Rosco) that my husband adopted almost a year ago. My husband just became critically ill and is in the ICU, with anticipated recovery time of several months once he gets out, which is still likely several weeks away. I am not a dog-person, and between trying to keep working and going to the hospital and taking care of kids, I cannot also take care of the dog. I would like to find a foster home in the Portland/Vancouver Metro area, so in the event my husband is able to care for Rosco later, he could return to our home. I don't know if this is a realistic prospect, but thought I would give it a shot here.

Rosco's original owner was elderly and unable to handle his strength, and his brief second home had too many dogs and he had to fight for his food, so he had some strange eating behaviors when we got him. He is neutered and healthy, has a cropped tail and AKC (?) papers. He is very much a "people" dog.

My husband and daughter took him for a training class and lucked into being the only ones in the class, so they got great personalized training. He is now crate-trained (stays in there overnight and during the day), only jumps on people he knows will allow him to, can sit/stay and "go to bed", and just recently has learned not to bolt out the front door and into the street every chance he gets! He does chase cats. He is not trained to heel, so he is difficult to walk as he is very strong. He is larger than the average boxer. He plays really well with other dogs, including our friend's female boxer. He gets along great with the kids, loves my 9-yo daughter, though sometimes plays a little rough for my 6-yo step-grandson. He is quite protective, doesn't bark much, but if we try to leave him in the backyard for a while he whines a lot cause he wants to be around his people. So we can't leave him out there cause the police will cite us (already got one warning). People frequently stop and comment that his coloring is beautiful.

I've tried to cover everything, but if there is anything I have left out let me know.

Thanks.

2. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

I cant help , as i am in michigan. Just wanted to send (((((((( healing ))))))))))) vibes to ur husband , and wish u luck on a search for a good home for rosco. Have u tried contacting local boxer rescues ? The one i work with helps with owner surrenders and will help u find the perfect home for ur baby. ( just a thought )

but i am sure others will have some ideas also ! Hope ur husband makes a speedy recover ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.